Thestrals

Dumbledore sat perched on the edge of his chair with a smile on his face. "Have you decided miss Snape?" He asks gently offering me a lemon drop from a small crystal dish on his desk. I smile and pop one into my mouth.

"I think id like to do it sir." I say confidently. Dumbeldores eyes crinkle around the edges as a smile erupts on his face.

"Excellent." He says clapping his hands together. "Much like last year, I'll have you take the final exams of year four here in my office. Since you've already completed potions and defense against the dark arts year four, we'll skip them. You'll be taking Transfiguration with Mcgonagall, Charms with Professor Flitwick, History of Magic, and Herbology. You will still be required to take Astronomy this year and you can choose two out of: Divination, Care of Magical Creatures, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes and Muggle Studies." He says all at once. I just nod my head. I figured I would ask Draco what he was taking and kind of go from there. Dumbledore looks at me for a moment before nodding. "Alright first ill send in Mcgonagal." He says before standing and letting in the Professor.

She enters the room with a big smile on her face and sits down. "Okay miss Snape, lets start with the vanishing Spell. Can you first tell me what exactly you can vanish with it?" She asks. I smile politely.

"The transfiguration spell for vanishing is used to vanish both animate and inanimate objects into non beings or really anything. " I say confidently. She grins and nods her head approvingly.

"Can you tell me the Incantation?"

"Evanesco!" I say proudly. She nods.

"Wonderful, now miss Snape. I would like you to vanish something on Dumbledores desk using the spell." She says handing me my wand. I stand up and smile at her and dumbeldore before choosing my object. I glance at the candy dish before pointing my wand and saying the incantation proficiently vanishing the dish. They both grin and Professor Mcgonagal leaves the office sending in the next teacher.

After a few hours of taking all the finals of year four Dumbledore decides that I am definitely ready to begin year five and gives me a timetable with a list of acceptable classes to choose from. I have to decide and let him know by the end of the day. I smile excitedly and quickly take off on the search for Draco. I find him down in the dungeons with crabbe and Goyle, a cocky grin on his face as he talks about something. Crabbe gives him a small shove when they notice me entering and Draco instantly blushes before shoving him back and walking towards me.

"Hey where have you been?" He asks with a grin. I smile at him and look back at Crabbe and Goyle who are giving each other awkward highfives and staring at us. I give Draco a curious expression and he just shrugs.

"I was actually in Dumbledores office." I say. He raises his eyebrows.

"What did you do?" He asks concerned. I smile and fiddle with a strand of my hair.

"I didn't do anything..except take all year four finals and advance to year five with you." I say quickly. He just stares at me before breaking out in a big grin.

"So your saying we will have all our classes together?" He asks excitedly. I just grin at him.

"Which brings me to, what classes are you signed up for?" He grabs my Hand and pulls me off towards the staircase leading to the dorms. Goyle wolf whistles and Draco chuckles rolling his eyes.

"Oi bug off!" He says playfully to his friends before leading me up to his new prefect room. It was conveniently right down the hall from my suite. He opened the door and stepped aside letting me inside. I glanced around the room and smiled at the decoration. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. The typical Slytherin crest hung on his walls, but he also had a few quidditch posters here and there, a moving photo of him and his mom from some family get together, and then lots of candles spread out. I smile at the room.

"Its nice." I say quietly. Draco grins at me in thanks before walking over to the cork board and grabbing his schedule off of it. He hands the sheet to me.

He had all the major classes, Astronomy first, Charms, Defense against the dark arts, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, Transfiguration, then he chose Divination and Arithmancy.

"Ill probably choose Care of Magical Creatures over Arithmancy." I say and Draco nods his head in agreement.

"Yeah I can see that. At least your not wanting to do muggle studies." He laughs. I nod my head in agreement.

"Muggles don't interest me that much." I say with a big grin.

"What does interest you?" He asks cheekily leaning in for a kiss. I shrug and lightly press my lips to his.

~~~~

Dad was super proud of me when I told him what I had chosen to do. Of course he thought divination was a sham but told me it was my choice. I just laughed and agreed with him. We were going to start my lessons tomorrow night after the first day of classes. Draco was busy doing prefect duties all day with Pansy so I chose to spend the rest of the day catching up with Harry.

We ended up out in the forrest walking and talking about life and the struggles of dealing with the return of Voldemort. We were in this together with our shared trauma. "You know hagrid's gone." He says as we walk further into the forest. I shake my head no. I honestly didn't put it together when Dumbledore had announced his replacement. Harry nodded his head as we stumbled upon a group of large Skelton like horses. We both just stared in awe until we noticed Luna Lovegood petting one further ahead. The first thing I noticed besides the obvious skeleton horses was the fact Luna wasn't wearing any shoes.

"Hello Harry Potter, Heather Snape." She says without turning to look at us. Harry glances at her before pointing out her feet.

"Aren't they cold?" He asks. She nods her head.

"A bit, but unfortunatelly all of my shoes have mysteriously disappeared." She says casually. I zone out on there conversation and walk forward putting my hand out to pet one. It sniffs my hand before nudging my hand causing me to smile.

"What are they?" Harry asks Luna.

"Theyre called Thestrals." I say softly. Noticing the baby thestral walking towards me as well.

"They're quite gentle really, but people avoid them on account that they look so different." Luna says sadly before reaching into her satchel and pulling out some sort of meat and feeding the thestrals.

"Why can't everyone else see them?" Harry asks quietly. I turn around to face him and give him a sad smile.

"Because they can only be seen by those who've witnessed death." I say sadly. Harry says nothing but joins me at the baby thestrals. Luna goes on to explain why she sees them and I zone out. Wondering if I seen them on account of Cedric, or because of my mom when I was a baby. It wasn't until Luna said something in particular I was pulled out of my thoughts.

"If I were you know who, I would want you to feel cut off from everyone else because if its just you alone your not as much of a threat." She says.

"He's not alone." I snap. "He has me." I say confidently. Luna smiles at me.