Chapter 24

[Harry POV]

After Louis dropped me off, I walked into the house to find Gemma. Despite the wonderful night I'd had with Louis, I was so beyond worried about Gemma. She needed to stay safe and I wanted to make sure everything was okay with her before offering to talk to Zayn about it.

Opening the back door, I walked in and neatly placed my shoes by the entrance. My hair was disheveled, but I hoped that Gemma wouldn't notice or question it - I'll blame it on the wind if she mentions it.

"Gem?" I called out, walking towards the kitchen. I could hear the sound of sizzling bacon in a pan, and the house smelled amazing. My stomach grumbled, reminding me I hadn't had much to eat for dinner or breakfast. Chips and soda can only keep my hunger content for so long.

"Hi, Harry," Gemma said, and I saw her turn away from the stove with a smile.

My eyes immediately went to her wrists, and I saw new bandages on them, wrapped slightly haphazardly.

"How have you been?" I asked cautiously, worried over what self-harm she might have issued while I was away.

She must have noticed me breaking eye contact and looking at her wrists because she practically read my mind, "I didn't cut, Harry. The new bandages are just because I had to take a shower and they got wet. Your wrapping job was better than mine, though."

I walked forward and gave her a long hug, wrapping my arms around her body and hooking my chin over her shoulder. I felt her hesitate but soon she was hugging me back, breathing softly.

"I'm glad you're okay, Gem. I know all of this is hard, but I'll help you through it," I whispered.

She pulled back from the hug to look into my eyes before answering, "I don't deserve you, Harry."

I shook my head, "Gemma, you deserve the world, and I want you to see that too. Have you talked to Zayn since yesterday?"

She looked down at her feet and took a deep breath, biting her lip.

"No," She admitted, "I'm scared of what he's going to say if he knows what I did. What if he hates me? What if he leaves me? He might never talk to me again and I-"

"He won't do or feel any of those things," I said clearly, cutting her off from the ramble. "Would you like me to talk to him for you?"

She nodded, "Would you please? I'm too scared to tell him but you have a way where everything you say just makes people feel better. I miss him already, and I want him to know none of this was his fault."

The kitchen timer beeped, and she turned to the stove to take the frying pan of bacon off the stove. I sat down at one of the kitchen table chairs as she divided up the bacon onto two plates that already had eggs on them.

"Wow, Gem, you made all this for us?"

"I knew you'd be home soon and I was hungry so I assumed you would be too," She said, carrying the plates and some forks to the table before sitting down.

"Thank you, I'm starving," I said. Both of us ate like there was no tomorrow and finished breakfast in a bit less than 5 minutes.

Pushing my plate aside, I turned back to her to resume our conversation.

"If you don't mind me asking, what really happened yesterday? It's quite unlike you to get upset over little things."

I saw her look down, suddenly losing all traces of her chipper mood.

"I-" She choked on her words, and I could hear her voice but only barely.

"I don't know if I want to tell anyone that right now. Sorry, Harry, I know you're so open with me but I'll tell you when I'm ready. Soon, I promise."