Chapter 21

[Louis POV]

I set out a blanket on the cool grass, which felt a bit dewy from the humidity. It was a cool night with a slight breeze, so I was thankful to have gotten a few extra blankets from the house.

When I had left Liam's house earlier that day, I'd started driving over to Harry's before turning around and heading home to grab picnic things, hoping they'd be a nice extra surprise if he said he'd be my boyfriend. I tried making the trip to my house rather quickly so I could avoid my parents. I ran up to my room to grab all the blankets off my bed and out of my closet.

My parents were in their bedroom at the end of the hallway and I heard my mom making loud and strange noises and there were some smacking sounds and stuff, but I just assumed they were at it again. Unfortunately, before they bought the cabin,  my very young ears had been exposed to all the noises they made during sex and I didn't really want to stick around to confirm or deny that's what they were doing this time.

I dashed downstairs, humming this song called Good Vibrations to try and drown out the other sounds. When I finally got into the kitchen, I grabbed a few different snacks including chips, cookies, and a few sodas, and threw them all in a big bag before making my way to Harry's house again.

Now that we were finally setting up our little picnic spot on the city overlook I found with Liam a year or so ago when I first got my license, I was really excited to spend time with Harry.

I get to spend time with my boyfriend.

Harry sat down and I pulled the food out of my bag, laying it out beside the blanket. Harry's beautiful green eyes followed me as I stood up and he patted the blanket.

"Come sit, Lou," He said, smiling.

I plopped down on the blanket, leaving some space between me and Harry. I didn't want to seem too eager, but I'm not necessarily good at playing it cool either. Even though I fell for Harry first, I was more than grateful that he emitted top energy on the daily. I liked being the little spoon and having someone look after me; with no siblings and my parents never around, no one actually looked after me in anything more than a friendly way, so this was nice.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes, taking in the overlook of the city. I could see the cars - which looked so small from up here - driving on the road and through the city. Large skyscrapers littered the landscape and San Diego just seemed to be filled with such a nice energy and life.

A small breeze came over us, and I shivered. The wind went through my clothes and ruffled my hair, messing up my quiff a bit.

"C'mere," Harry said, and I looked over to see him wrapped in one of my blankets; the fuzzy dark green one that was the biggest out of the bunch. He looked like he was swimming in it and I swear it was the cutest thing ever.

I scooted over to him until I was sitting right next to him on the blanket. He smiled and wrapped the blanket around the two of us, and hugged my shoulder, holding me close.

I snuggled closer to him and rested my head on his shoulder. If it's possible to feel someone smiling, I definitely felt Harry beaming.

"Thanks, I was getting a bit chilly," I said, looking into his eyes. He looked down at me and smiled, his eyes crinkling a bit and his dimples becoming prominent.

He looked up at my hair, which I forgot to fix after the wind made it a bit messy. He moved the hand that wasn't wrapped around my shoulders to my hair, gently brushing it with his fingers back into place. His fingers moved down and traced the outline of my jaw before he gave a hint of a smirk and removed his hand from my face.