IDFB 11a: Temporal Displacement 🕙

May 16th

Bubble emerged from the top of the stairwell inside the Yoyle Needy. She stretched and walked to the edge of the railing, taking in the wonderful view. The sun had already risen, fully illuminating most of the colorful buildings below, but Bubble liked to take a nice, long look at the world every morning. She couldn't really explain it - it just felt nice. Relaxing.

Something scuffled behind her. Bubble turned around to see a ladder propped against the doorway of the stairwell, leading up to the very tip of the Yoyle Needy. Standing on the tip was Ruby. "Ruby!" Bubble called out. "What the heck are you doing up there??"

The gem turned towards Bubble, revealing that she was wearing a backpack of some sort. "Hiya Bubble!" She waved. "I found this cool parachute, so I'm going to jump off and float to the ground! It's gonna be great!"

"What!? That seems like a TERRIBLE idea!" But before Bubble even finished that sentence, Ruby pushed herself off the tip and plummeted past the soap sphere. "RUBY!!" Bubble screamed.

"Wheeeee!!!" The air resistance pushed against Ruby's face violently, almost forcing her eyes closed, but she could see enough that she was already halfway to the ground. Groping for the string that stuck out of the backpack, she found it after a second and tugged hard.

Nothing happened.

"Uh oh," Ruby managed to mutter before smashing into a million pieces. The backpack split open, revealing that it was actually just a normal backpack and not a parachute.

As Bubble watched all this from far above, someone entered the balcony behind her. She turned to see Emerald standing there. "Hey, Emerald."

"Yo. I thought I heard Ruby up here. Where is she?"

Bubble just sighed and pointed over the edge of the railing.

(cue IDFB intro lol)

--------------------

Pen idly tore up bits and pieces of Yoyleland's trademark purple grass as he waited for noon to strike. The only other one waiting with him at the Locker Of Losers was Balloony (and of course, Roboty, who was sitting on top of the metal box as he always did).

Balloony sighed discreetly, but Pen noticed. He decided that he couldn't take any more waiting and tried to start a conversation. "Hey, uh, that sigh sounded kinda like a sad sigh," he began. "You alright?"

From on top of the LOL, Roboty sensed a private conversation coming. He quickly shut down his audio processors and rotated so that he was looking at the city instead of the others.

Down below, Balloony looked a bit startled, as he and Pen had never spoken before. "...I'm fine, I suppose," he said awkwardly after a moment. "I just miss my friend Cloudy."

"Actually, I can relate." Pen sighed as well. "My two best friends, Blocky and Eraser, are both trapped in that stupid box. I know it's only been seven or so months, and I have other friends out here - Coiny is pretty cool - but I'm closest to them. And it just feels weird, not being able to chat with them everyday."

Balloony nodded in agreement. "I sorta know some people out here, but the only one I've really extensively talked with is Cloudy."

Pen stood up. "Alright, let's get out of this funk. Maybe our friends will be freed today!"

As if on cue, three objects materialized next to the LOL - Blocky, Eraser, and Cloudy.

"Cloudy!" Balloony shouted. He ran over to hug him as Pen followed.

"Man, it's good to see you guys!" Pen exclaimed happily to Blocky and Eraser.

"Same! We missed you, dude!" They all high-fived. "And this was good timing, too," Eraser continued. "We were in between D&D sessions, so nothing got interrupted."