IDFB 5b: Breadcrumb Trails 🔪

December 16th. For the past two weeks, Coiny had been searching around Yoyle City, trying to find Leafy before FreeSmart did. But he eventually realized that Leafy probably wouldn't have stayed in Yoyle City, even after freeing Firey.

He found her two days after leaving the city and searching the land around it. He followed a set of footprints into some bushes and found the metal leaf napping. But she quickly woke up and jumped to her feet, brandishing a knife.

"Whoa! Hold on, Leafy!" Coiny raised his hands in self-defense and backed up a few steps. "It's just me."

Leafy lowered the knife. "Oh. Er, hi, Coiny."

Coiny pointed to the knife. "How did you do that?"

Leafy looked down at her hand. "Uh, I don't know, actually. I've just been able to create knives from thin air ever since I got to Yoyleland, for some reason." She conjured a knife in her other hand. "But I'm not able to get rid of them." The knives were tossed into a much larger pile that Coiny hadn't noticed before.

"Weird." Coiny shook his head. "But I didn't come to discuss magic tricks. I came to warn you about something."

"Oh?" Leafy sounded interested. "Do tell."

"It's FreeSmart. They're-"

"FreeSmart?"

Coiny had momentarily forgotten that Leafy hadn't competed in BFDIA, so she didn't know the alliance's team name. "Er, Pencil's alliance. FYI, Ruby, Book, and Ice Cube are part of it now. But none of them are really that bad, except, you know, Match and Pencil."

"Yeah." A stormy look crossed leafy's face at the mention of Pencil.

"The thing is, Pencil and Match learned you freed Firey, and now they want to find and trap you in a similar way."

"Hmf. I'd like to see them try." Another knife materialized in Leafy's right hand and she spun it through her fingers. She allowed a small smile onto her face.

Coiny chuckled. "Right. You're not defenseless. But still, it's six against one, and even with your knives, those aren't amazing odds."

"Point taken." Leafy tapped her finger onto the point of her knife, then threw it in the pile with the others.

"So just be careful out here. You might find unwanted guests at your doorstep. Er, bushstep." Coiny tapped his hand against his side restlessly as another thought popped into his head. "Another thing. You said a few weeks ago that the city wasn't safe. What did you mean?"

Leafy's smile disappeared. "I don't really want to talk about it."

"Come on, why not?"

"You wouldn't believe me."

"Try me."

Leafy stayed silent.

Coiny cleared his throat. "Ok. Uh, well, I'm gonna head back now. Again, stay safe."

He turned to leave, but Leafy said, "Wait!"

Coiny turned again. "Yeah?"

Leafy fidgeted with another knife. "Can you... try to see what's up with Firey? I don't think he's actually forgotten me, and I want to know why he's avoiding me."

Coiny smiled. "Sure. I'll try to talk some sense into him."

Leafy opened her mouth to reply-