Chapter 66: Aftermath

Ever since their confrontation with Emma, Lain had been more reserved than normal. After the women arrived home from their dinner, they quietly snuck into their home as to not bring about any questions yet.

As they walked through the door they could hear Natalia and their girls in the living room watching a movie.

Helping Lain upstairs to their bedroom, Nina left her wife to get ready for bed alone before she walked back downstairs and headed over to her tired girls.

"Oh you're back. I thought I heard something. How was it?" Natalia asked as she held a sleepy Lauren in her lap with a bottle in her mouth. Meanwhile, Faye and Kaila settled besides the older woman.

While Faye was more interested in being snuggled by her blanket and watching the movie in front of her, Kaila was leaning against the woman's shoulder sucking on a pacifier while being under the same blanket as Faye.

"It was fine..." Nina hesitated before she answered.

"What happened?" Natalia asked.

"Nothing happened mom. I said it was fine. What makes you think something had to happen?" The mocha woman spoke fast as she began panicking and scratching the back of her neck.

"Because I know you're lying to me." The instant Natalia said that Faye looked up at Nina pointing fingers as she giggled making little siren noises as she did so.

"Oh enough of that you." Nina tapped her nose. "Watch your movie." Faye chuckled as Nina stuck her tongue out at the girl playfully before going back to her film.

Turning her attention back to her mom, Nina shrugged her shoulders. "Everything's fine."

"If everything's fine, then where's Lain?"

"She's upstairs washing up for bed. Like what you three need to start doing." She reached down grabbing Kaila, who was nearly fast asleep at Natalia's side. Placing the girl on her hip, she rocked her fussy girl.

Seeing the look in her daughters eyes that insisted the woman hold off her questions until the girls were out of their presence, Natalia nodded. "Mama's right. It's getting late." She said shutting the movie off.

"Grammy!" Faye whined. "I was watching that."

"Oh I know darling but no more for tonight. We can watch more tomorrow. Come on it's time for bed." She chuckled when Faye crossed her arms saltily about the movie as she walked over grabbing Nina's hand as she looked away from the older woman.

"Do you need me to come back for Lauren?" Nina asked with her hands full.

"No I've got her. She's tiny, plus don't count me out because of my age yet. I can still lift some weights." Natalia said standing with Lauren on her hip. And after some rearrangement the woman had a firm grip on the small girl.

Walking upstairs all together the two women placed the girls into their rooms. Tucking them in one by one, Nina kissed the top of the girls heads as she wished them each sweet dreams. As she walked out of Lauren's bedroom, she could hear something coming from her bathroom.

Going into their bedroom alone she knocked on the bathroom door where the noise was coming from. Inside she could hear sniffling along with a few stray whimpers as Lain sobbed to herself in the shower. "Babe?" Nina warily questioned.

"Please go away." She heard her wife painfully say as she struggled to cover up her tears behind her shower.

"But babe it's me-"

"I know N but I just want some time alone please." Listening to her wife's wish, Nina left the bathroom as quick as she entered before meeting back up with her mother who was back downstairs.