Chapter 25: Wildfire

As Kaila slept peacefully a wave of unwelcome sounds of shuffling and muffled noises slowly woke her. Still wanting to sleep the girl kept her eyes shut as she noticed a warm blanket around her body.

Assuming that one of the women had tucked her into bed, Kaila didn't care that her blanket seemed to be softer than normal. Instead she simply allowed herself to drift off yet again to dreamland.

Or at least she did for as long as she could. The muffled noises of talking and happy laughs continued on. Seemingly getting louder as the minutes passed by.

The poor girl grumbled in her drowsiness wanting the noise to silence so she could sleep, but it didn't. Pestering on the noise seemed as though it was getting closer to her.

Or perhaps she was getting closer to the noise.

She tried to open her eyes but the instant they opened a large ray of sunlight flashed into her senses temporarily blinding her. Turning her face she hid into what felt like a fuzzy blanket.

As soon as the fabric of the blanket rubbed up against Kaila's bare skin, the little girl cautiously noticed things definitely were different. Not only was this not her blanket but she could now feel the vibration of movement through the fur of it.

She wasn't laying in bed. She was indeed moving. The sounds of those around her started getting louder as she got closer. Someone was carrying her before she felt the movement come to a halt as she was lowered down into someone's lap.

The strange sensation began to wake her more and more until she felt as though she could finally make sense of her surroundings.

And one of the first things she realized, was the fact that a similar material to the bottle she tried out yesterday was currently in her mouth. Partly hoping it was the bottle again, Kaila suckled down on it, frowning when no milk came through.

Mumbling and grumbling as she tried again for the milk, the voices also started to become clearer. Kaila could easily distinguish the women were in close proximity to her. Their voices were as clear as day, as was another voice, and another after that.

What surprised her the most was the fact that one of the new voices belonged to an older woman, and to top things off her voice rung out from directly above the girl.

Opening her eyes in pure panic the girl instantly caught sight of an older woman with long curls dangling down her shoulders. Looking around at her surroundings Kaila realized she wasn't in her room anymore.

She noticed that they were the only ones in the living room as the couple could be heard from across the hall in the kitchen.

Attempting to move, everything started to make sense as to why Kaila felt warmer than normal. Instead of being under her normal pink bedsheet she was wrapped in a grey furry one which she was swaddled her in, presumably by the older woman.

Holding Kaila in her lap, the girl was instantly met with a warm smile. "Good morning you." The woman cooed as the girl suckled on the pacifier harder as her breathing picked up.

Even though she could hear the women in the distance Kaila felt herself getting chills. Tears were running to the surface as she struggled to free herself from this strangers grasp.

But rather than releasing the girl from her hold the woman just shushed her gently as she bounced her legs. "Aren't you up early?" The woman asked. "Why don't you go back to sleep while your mommy's finish up in the kitchen?"

Shaking her head frantically Kaila was persisted as she continued attempting to toss and turn. But her swaddle was so secure that she wasn't budging an inch. Feeling restrained by the blanket had forced her repressed feelings of fear and anxiety of the past to all come back.