Chapter 52: Locked In

Taking a deep breathe as she composed herself, Alia finally turned away from the front door and began walking back towards the scared and anxious little girls waiting for some comfort.

Back in the main area, most of the kids were watching their film without a second thought. However, Kaila was practically attached to Lauren's side as she held onto the little girls arm besides her.

Crying into her arm, Lauren didn't seem to mind as she was too lost in her own mind to think anything of it.

As Alia approached them it made Lauren's body sink further into the soft seat. She didn't want this stranger coming any closer to her without the women around to guard her from evil.

Feeling Lauren tensing up suddenly, Kaila questioningly looked up from her arm seeing the blond woman getting closer to them as well.

As Kaila turned to face away, Alia kneeled before the girls as she gave them her best smile. "I know it's hard not having your mommy's here but we can still have some fun. Do either of you girls like dolls?" She asked gently. "We have a dollhouse that you can play with. Maybe you can even talk to some of the other girls who are playing with it as well." She tried to get them involved but the girls stared at her quietly pleading for her to leave them alone.

Sighing as she looked back to the dollhouse where Rose had joined the girls again, she walked over briskly grabbing her little girls hand. She pulled Rose into a small room where she picked her little girl up so they could have a private chat.

"Mommy I was playing." Rose complained attempting to free herself from the woman's hold.

"None of that now," the blond woman lightly scolded while bouncing Rose on her hip. "Mommy's got a job for you to do. Think you're up for it?"

Seeing the suspiciously large smile on her mommy's face, Rose grew excited. Agreeing as she ceased her struggles to escape, the little girl stared intently at the woman holding her."What is it?"

"You know the new girls" she waited until Rose nodded. "Well they're a little upset that their mommy's left them and they're a little scared about making some new friends. Do you think you could go over there and talk to them?"

"Can I ask them to play?" She curiously asked.

Smirking Alia answered. "I'm sure it wouldn't hurt." Rose clapped her hands eager to make new friends. "But be nice. They're new alright, so if they say no then you can just go back and play with the others. I'm just hoping that maybe they'll loosen up if someone as cute as you ask them instead of it being me." She said hoping that getting another little to interact with them would bring them out if they shells.

Happily nodding her head, Rose squirmed out of Alia's arms before she ran back into the main room.

Breathing heavily as she hoped her efforts worked, she was mentally preparing herself to join the kids when Alex suddenly walked in.

He was a man with the deepest of brown eyes to accompany his chestnut skin. His black hair was always cleanly shaved as it freely flowed on top his head. "Do you know where the extra tape is? Tera had a little accident while she was making her boat and she wants to fix it up." He asked looking down at his watch quickly to check the time.

Finally when his eyes found their way off the pricy object on his wrist, he looked at his partner concerned. "Alia?" He called for her again.

"Hm?" He brought her out of it. "Sorry, um did you say something?" She asked rubbing her arm as she chuckled nervously.

"Yeah..." he looked at her confused. "Is everything alright? Did I interrupt something?"

"What? No, everything's fine. I guess I just got caught up thinking about something is all. What was it that you wanted?" She switched topics.