16. The Secrets

The next few days passed quickly with Narong's never-ending chasing and Sky's never-ending escaping. Narong understood that the senior was beyond hurt and didn't want to see him, but he sincerely wanted to apologize and seek for his forgiveness as if it was possible.

Narong looked at Sky's address with indecisive eyes. After witnessing Narong's fruitless attempts, May decided to give him a hand and forwarded Sky's full address to him. As he always failed to catch the senior on campus and the things between them required some privacy, Narong thought it would be better to go to Sky's dormitory. He wouldn't chase him out, right?

So, Narong drove to Sky's dormitory, but he couldn't leave the car for a while as he lacked courage. One part of him knew that after the apology, he wouldn't have any reason to get closer to Sky and he didn't want that. Nope. Especially, when he learned that Sky didn't betray Lek. Ironically, the moment he knew there was no obstacle between them was also the moment he ruined everything. Sky would never forgive him and Narong wouldn't blame him for that.

A knocking voice on the window broke Narong's trance. Apparently, he didn't need to decide whether to see Sky or not because the mentioned senior was already standing in front of him with a confused expression under the yellowish street light. Cursing to his carelessness to park right in front of the dormitory entrance, Narong got out of the car.

"What are you doing here?" Sky tried to sound indifferent, but his heart was betraying him.

"I want to apologize," Narong didn't beat around the bush.

"I accept your apology, so you can go back now. I have a feeling it is better if we act as if we never met," he said and wanted to leave before starting to cry, but a pair of cold hands grabbed his arm, not letting him go.

"I know what happened in the back garden," Narong's words echoed in the dark, making Sky turn around with his eyes wide open.

"How?"

"It doesn't matter," Narong said softly, "what matters is that now I know the truth and feel so bad to act like that. Can you forgive me?"

Sky patted Narong's hand which was still on his arm, "there is only one thing I can forgive you; the back garden incident. The others were not your fault because it was me who let you," he said reassuringly.

"So you really knew who I was... Then why did you let me hate you?"

Sky exhaled with irritation. Why the hell did he have to reveal that much?! "Look, I am really responsible for Lek's death, okay, so I deserve your hate. Now, please leave me alone because I don't want to be a part of your emotional swirls," he lied so that Narong would stop digging into the past. Sky didn't want him to be stuck in the past, ruining his future happiness.

His words made the expected impact as Narong let his arm go, "I know you are still hiding something from me, but I won't force you to tell me now. Just know that I will always be a call away, so whenever you need something or decide to talk, call me," he said with a hoarse voice before getting into his car and driving off.

"I can't tell you..." Sky looked behind the car as destiny separated him from the only thing he ever wanted.

***

"Narong," Narong's father, Dusit called out to his son as soon as Narong entered the house.

"Hmm?" Narong had no energy left.

"Come here, I want to ask you something," Dusit left his empty gin glass onto the coffee table. After Lek's suicide, he needed a glass each night to be able to sleep.

"What is it dad?" Narong asked with obvious tiredness.

"Your mom and I noticed that recently you are not like your usual self, you look distressed and sad," Dusit paused for a second, "is it because of the faculty? You don't like it?"

Narong startled greatly as it was the first time, hearing something like this from his father. All those years, his father kept telling them Medicine was their only choice, so he didn't want to listen to their nagging. "Does it change anything if I say I don't like it?" He wanted to hear his father's response.

Dusit's mouth twitched for a second before he said "if you don't like it, you can change your major."

"What?!"

Dusit filled his glass back and guzzled it down, "you heard me, nothing is more important than you, so we will respect your decision."

"Wow, that was unexpected," Narong slumped to the sofa next to his father, "but don't worry, I love my major."

The relief on his father's face was undeniable, "then why are you so down?"

"I was thinking about Lek," Narong answered honestly, "I wonder why he did what he did."

Dusit got tensed next to Narong. "Let it go, what happened, happened," he said at the end with a hint of pain in his voice.

"You are right," Narong didn't want to upset the old guy more than he was, so he stood up again and left the living room after saying good night.

Narong lay down on his bed, thinking about the happenings. When he went to see Sky, he had a lot of questions in his mind, but after the brief talk they had with his father, the number doubled! As if it was not enough, his father also chose the same day to be weird! He also wanted to move forward and be happy with Sky; however, if he couldn't get rid of the ghost of the past, how could he do that? He was sure that the ghost would lurk around all the time, waiting for its right time to strike again. He needed answers, but everyone was hiding them from him, God knew why!

"I will learn the truth, but I will never let you go, Sky," he said determinedly in the dark room before drifting off to sleep with a heavy heart.