Chapter 38: The "Accident"

Zoro's POV ~
I'm at a bar right now, in broad daylight, sitting by the counter. I've been drinking sake all morning after I left the apartment, thinking of what I should start doing. My part time job being a bartender, isn't until later tonight where there's an important thing I have to do. Zephania called earlier, saying she was fine, but somehow, I don't buy it. She's been weird lately and distanced. We haven't talked much lately either. I want to check on her. I'm worried. After I payed for my drinks, I drove home with the assistance of my car's gps. The streets tend to change, I don't know how or why, that's why I keep going nowhere or even further from my destination. I wonder who keeps changing all the damn signs on the road.

(A/N: Lol Zoro, you're just weak with directions😂🤣😂)

I finally got back and I stopped my car up front and got out. I walked up to the door and unlocked it. I opened it and the first think I noticed was Hania's room was open. I guess she just got home. I slowly walked towards her room, and saw Hania, and a guy. He looked familiar. I think it was the new transferred student who was always with her. Why is he kneeling? What is he doing here? Why is he in my sister's room!

"Oi! What the hell are you doing in my sister's room!" I exclaimed. "Roronoa-ya?" I then looked at Hania to check if she was okay and she had no reaction to me blurting out at all. She always gets mad whenever I come to her room without knocking. I noticed her face was a bit puffy, like she just cried.

I turned to the guy and grabbed his collar and was about to punch him, but I stopped midway. He didn't flinch, not one bit, like he wants to get punched. What's going on? Zephania suddenly stood up from her bed, ignoring the both of us, and walked straight to her bathroom, without even looking at me. I then looked back at the guy.

"What the hell is going on!" I asked almost shouting.

"Roronoa-ya. Let me explain."

A few hours later ~
I get the situation now. After he was finished, I kind of, just punched him. I just felt like it.

Earlier, after Zephania got out of her bathroom, completely ignoring us in her room, after she dried her hair, she went to the kitchen. She came back with an apple from the fridge and sat on her bed while reading a book. Then a few minutes later, she fell asleep. She's been sleeping for a few a hours, while Law, explained to me everything about her situation.

Being her brother and only family blood she has left, I also feel responsible. I should've tried harder to talk to her, to reach out to her.

"Ever since the accident, I never got the chance to talk to her properly. I should've tried harder. I didn't even know what my little sister is going through, even now. While I just bury my sorrows by drinking and continuing my work. But what I'm doing is also for her. It seems for her, she's taken too much already. I'm so sorry Zephania." I said as I looked at her sleeping peacefully. Law was looking out for my little sister ever since her break up with Ace. Something I could've also done as her big brother.

Now, she made a wish to stop herself from feeling anything, ever again. She doesn't want to feel the loss, pain, hurt, confusion, regret, guilt or anything that drove her to such a decision. I'm so useless. I fail as a brother.

"I have to ask, what really happened during that accident. It doesn't seem like something she wants to talk about in detail." Law suddenly asked. I still don't know anything about this guy. But if Zephania trusts him, then I think I gotta do so too.

~ Flashback ~
Narrator's POV~
Zoro and Zephania's parents worked at a casino named Rain Dinners, that a well known man named Crocodile, owns. For many years as they both worked there together, they accidentally discovered about their secret organization. They planned to tell the authorities but they didn't know they got busted while spying.

They immediately went home and planned to leave the country with their children, Zoro and Zephania, after telling what they found out to the authorities. Zoro and Zephania, who were at the backseat of the car, were confused of all that was happening.

They failed in their escape, when Crocodile's men got to them first, and shot at their car. Their tires exploded, losing control of their car, tumbling down a slope and they crashed down a lake. The men left thinking they all died at the crash.

A few minutes later, someone discovered their car and immediately called for help.

Garp was the one who led the expedition of their search. The moment they arrived at the area, at the end of the road, they saw smoke coming from near the lake. When they got there, they found the crashed car, with the two parents dead at the front seat, and two children unconscious at the backseat.

Garp realized that they have no one to look after, so he decided to bring them back with him, took care of them, until they able to take care of themselves on their own. That's how Zephania and Ace got to meet.

The same as what happened at the past, but it was only their parents who managed to go to that country to work and tried to escape after being caught by Crocodile's men in that country, while Zephania was at their hometown and Zoro was travelling. Upon fleeing, their pursuers caught up to their parent's ship, fired at it and it exploded.

~ End of Flashback ~

Zoro's POV ~
"I remember everything of it. Zephania thinks that it was all an accident. But I know, it wasn't. Though they never knew or told us who were after us. Someday, I'll make them pay. The only thing I know is that they both worked at a casino. Throughout the years I've waited in order to make them pay, finally, the closest lead I've got was at the bar I worked at as a bartender, thanks to the gang who've also helped me out. There were many wealthy customers I noticed, but no progress as of now yet. I'm not giving up on finding out who did this to us."
I finished explaining everything I know to Law.

Zephania seems to trust him, although I don't know much about him, I know for the fact that she cares for my sister, seeing as he's not a bad person. That's enough for me to try and trust him too.