Choices (27)

I bolted up the stairs to the top of the Astronomy tower. When the Death Eaters left, so did the force field and I was now able to gain access to the balcony. It was a clear night outside. There were no clouds to block the twinkling stars, yet the eerie Dark Mark slowly polluted the sky and made everything black.

I averted my eyes from the crumpled figure on the ground and tried to hold back my tears.

I'm so sorry...

I grabbed Harry's invisibility cloak that he had left behind and draped it over my head so it concealed my entire body and descended down the stairs. Stealthily, I made my where to where Harry was headed. Where everyone seemed to be heading.

I gasped as I saw the scene in front of me. Harry and Snape had their wands both pointing to each other. Hagrid's hut was in flames. The flickering orange light allowed me to see Harry's face. He looked so angry I thought he was going to burst.

Behind Snape I saw Draco just standing there, frozen, as he took in the scene in front of him just like I was doing. He looked shocked and scared. My heart ached for him.

"Go on," Snape ordered Draco.

Draco took a few steps backwards before turning completely around and walking into the Forbidden Forest. His aunt, Bellatrix, was dancing around crazily and laughing like mad as if drunk with power. I waited till Draco was deeper in the forest before running after him.

"Draco!" I called out, before whipping the cloak off me. He jumped in fright after seeing me appear out of nowhere but hugged me when he had calmed down.

"Thank God you're safe," he breathed into my ear before crashing his mouth down on mine. I responded eagerly and furiously, fully aware that this was going to be our last kiss for a very long time.

"I remember everything now," I gasped out when we broke apart.

He smiled "I know." He kissed me again "I understood your hint."

 "I'm sorry I didn't believe you."

"Don't worry about that." He pressed his forehead against mine and held my face lovingly in his hands "All you need to believe is that I love you."

"I love you too." I pressed my lips to his but he quickly pulled away.

"I have to go now," he said, looking over at the right orange flames "I'll find a way to be with you. I promise."  He grazed his lips over my forehead and then he was gone.

--

I sat and fidgeted with my dress after the wedding ceremony. It was a beautiful setting with the white marquee and twinkling fairy lights above but I was distracted by my over bearing thoughts.

I had arrived to a dark and empty house. My parents had left a few weeks earlier to go into hiding. They had begged me to go with them but I had refused. I couldn't leave my friends behind, or Draco. Especially Draco. My parents were upset but they respected me enough to let it go.

Everything was still in the same place since I left for Hogwarts. The only thing that was missing was my parents. I crawled into bed the minute I got home, not even bothering to change. It had started to rain and I felt comforted by the pattering of the raindrops against my window.

Dumbledore had died. No one took the news harder than Harry. Even though he put on a brave face, those of us who knew him well knew that it was just a facade. The funeral had been a beautiful ceremony. It was clear how many people had looked up to the head master. I felt like crying but I couldn't. Everyone around me was shedding tears but I just stayed stony face and silent. I felt like it was partly my fault that he had died therefore I didn't get the luxury of crying.