40: Manal

Can we get 100 comments? 🥰

"Make sure you keep your phone close to you. I'm going to call you in the next few hours." Ummi instructed and pulled over in front of Farida's house.

"Alright, Ummi." I responded and alighted from the car. "Thank you." I shut the door and waited for Ummi to drive off before ringing the bell.

In a minute or so, the gatekeeper opened the door and allowed me in.

"Is Farida around?" I inquired after greeting him.

"Yes." He responded.

"Okay. Is..." I trailed off, unsure if I should ask about Jawaad. I really wanted to know if he was around, so I would know how to act when I bump into him. I didn't want to be startled. "Is her brother around?"

"Jawaad?"

Who else?

"Yes. Is he around as well?"

"No, he isn't. He doesn't live here, but he does visit frequently."

"Oh!" I acted as though I was oblivious to the fact. Farida had mentioned it to me one time. "How frequent? When last did he visit?"

The way his demeanor contorted in perplexity envisaged I might have crossed a boundary.

"He—"

"It's fine." I promptly cut him off. "You don't have to answer that. I will go inside now."

He nodded and sat back down on his chair.

In a slow pace, I walked towards the main door of the house. I couldn't help, but imagine opening the door and meeting Jawaad seated in the living room. How would I react?

I shook my head, spurning the thought. The gatekeeper didn't stutter when he said Jawaad wasn't around. I wonder why I kept on having weird imaginations even after that.

Carefully, I pushed open the door. The living room was quiet. No one was in sight. The plasma TV was on; Karate kid movie was playing—Imran's favorite movie.

I sat on the couch and got out my phone from my bag to call Farida and inform her of my presence.

"Helloooooooooo!" Farida squealed in the phone. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine. I'm in your house." I informed.

"Liar." She laughed. "You aren't in my house."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious, I'm right here in your house. I'm currently sitting in your living room."

"I don't believe you." She giggled. "How can you be in my living room when I'm currently there. I don't see you anywhere."

"I'm not kidding around, Farida." I sighed.

"Then come to my room. Why are you in the living room anyway?"

"Alright, I'm coming." I stood and made my way to her room.

Immediately I opened the door, Farida threw her arms around my neck and engulfed me in a tight hug.

She pulled back and stared at me in disbelief. "I actually thought you were joking when you said you're in my house. Why didn't you tell me before coming?" She hummed. "I would have had the maids prepare something delicious for you."

"It wasn't planned. Ummi took me my surprise." I blurted.

"Oh really?" She stared at me askance. "You wouldn't have even thought of visiting otherwise."

"No, no...that isn't it." I shook my head. "It's just that these past few days, I haven't been feeling too well. Ummi thinks it's boredom, so she initiated this."