97: Hala

I placed my phone on the sink and walked over to where our cylinder gas was.

Just as I turned on the gas cooker to start cooking, my phone began to ring. I turned it off and hurried to receive the call because I was expecting an important call.

"Hello, Adam, how is it going?" I asked, pacing to and fro in the kitchen. I just wanted everything to go right. One wrong move and I'd be doomed.

"All set," he replied. "We're just waiting for your arrival."

"Good."

"About the raise," Adam spoke. "I hope you haven't forgotten about it."

"I don't care!" I whisper-yelled. "just get the job done perfectly."

"What job are you talking about?" Manal's voice startled me.

I flinched and instinctively ended the call. "Job?"

"I just overheard you telling someone to do a perfect job."

"Oh! That?" I laughed. "It was just the decorators of the hall we're planning to use tonight. I had to remind them not to mess up. You know me na, I love perfection."

"How big is the event going to be that you need decorators? I thought you said it's going to be a simple get-together..."

Phew!

I heaved a sigh of relief as Manal didn't suspect anything. I had to be extra careful. "I thought so too, but apparently, my friends have other plans." I sighed. "Since it's probably going to be our last gathering after graduation, they want it to be unforgettable."

Manal shrugged nonchalantly.

"Don't worry," I continued. "We're going to have blast. The experience will no doubt be unforgettable, especially for you. Have my word for it." I smiled.

Manal's brows furrowed in confusion.

"Are you going to help me cook?" I asked, changing the topic. "If you're not, then let me concentrate."

Without replying, Manal turned around and walked out of the kitchen.

I blew out my cheeks. "I hope she doesn't suspect anything," I mumbled.

After we had eaten, we started preparing for the party. Manal was donned in a green gown and a while veil draped over her head.

Her dress and make-up made her look beautiful, but her heart was hideous. A real definition of a green snake under the green grass.

When I met Manal a few years ago, I thought I had found a best friend in her. I loved her with all of my heart. I even treated her like a sister but what did I get in return? Betrayal.

"Hala," Manal's voice broke me out of my trance. "Help me zip up my dress."

I faked a smile and went to help her with it.

"Thank you." She muttered.

Again, I smiled.

"Are you going to wear this?" She asked; her gaze trailing from my head to toe.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked a bit offended. I was clad in a tank top and a pair of skinny jeans. I was comfortable in it.

Manal hummed, probably trying to filter her words in order not to sound offensive. "How about we go in the matching outfits I got us last week?"

I mentally scoffed at her suggestion. "No, I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing. I won't change it."

"Okay." She shrugged. "If that's what you want. I just thought you'd look better in it and—"