91: Manal

Venza had always been the car I fancied, so when Abi presented it to me as a gift, I was over the moon. I was extra excited because I didn't expect it. Ummi and Imran were surprised as well.

The feeling of starting my final year in the university with a car was spontaneous. Left to Abi, he would have gifted me the car a long time ago, but for whatever reason, Ummi kept on discouraging him.

I had always thought I would have the best time of my life during my final year, but that wasn't the case. Farida has graduated. Hala no longer talked to me and Na'eem had been a little distant. I didn't blame him though. He was heartbroken. I understood him, but I didn't feel guilty at all because I never led him on. I never hid the fact about my feelings from Jawaad from him.

At first, I didn't want to tell him, but I felt it would be unfair to him.

Na'eem didn't get angry, but the look of disappointment on his face couldn't be overlooked. He asked me if I was sure of what I was getting into and I affirmed. With no other word being said, he walked away.

Since then, my relationship with Na'eem hadn't been the same. We still talked a lot, but the vibe wasn't the same. I didn't bother talking to him about it because I knew I'd only make him feel some type of way. I didn't want that.

I used to feel guilty for not reciprocating Na'eem's love, but not anymore. I later understood the saying 'the heart wants what it wants'.  Jawaad may not be the perfect person for me. He had hurt me a lot, making me feel insecure about myself, but that wasn't enough to get rid of the love I had for him in my heart. I wanted to convince myself that the feelings were all gone, but when he came back begging and Ummi intervened, I just couldn't keep up the act.

So far, Jawaad had been the perfect gentleman. He hadn't given me a single chance to complain about him. He never missed chances to visit me. I had become freer with him. I could call him at the wee hours and he would gladly pick up.

The past few weeks had drawn us closer than we had ever been.

More than ever, it had become clearer to me that he was the one I wished to spend the rest of my life with.

I could already picture a future of us together.

I had just finished having breakfast, when my phone beeped, indicating a new text message.

It was Na'eem, asking me if I wouldn't be able to make it to class.

I quickly dialed his number and took the phone to my ear. "Assalamualaikum, Na'eem."

"Waalaykum salam." He responded, his voice a bit down. "Aren't you going to come to class today?"

"No, Na'eem," I replied. "I don't feel too well today. I won't be able to attend."

"What's wrong with you?" He asked, concern laced his voice.

"It's just a migraine. I think I'm just stressed out." I responded.

"Have you taken any medicine?"

"Yes, I have."

"Should I come over?"

"It's fine, Na'eem, I won't be available  anyway."

"You just told me you're not feeling well, where do you want to go in that state?"

I hummed. I wasn't sure if I should tell him that Jawaad would be coming over. I didn't want to spark reactions from him.

"Is your boyfriend coming over?"

I heaved a sigh before responding. "He is." I didn't bother explaining because it'd be of no use.

"Have fun then...bye." he ended the call.