38: Jawaad

"Why don't you stay the weekend?" Mum asked; taking a seat on the edge of her bed. "Come in, why are you standing by the door?"

I walked further into the room, but didn't sit. "I really wish I could, mum, but I can't. I have a lot of work to do at the office. Maybe some other time."

"Alright then, if that's what you want. I won't force you." She remarked.

Judging by her facial expression, I knew what she was trying to do, but I played the ignore card. "When I have less work, I will come over, in Sha Allah. Is that okay?"

"Not really," she admitted. "But it's fine. Have a seat."

"No, mum, I was just leaving." I politely declined. Knowing mum, she would want to have a discussion with me, as usual. I was trying so hard to avoid it. The last thing I wanted, was for her to bring up the marriage conversation. It always made me feel uncomfortable.

"I want to speak to you, before you leave." She answered my unasked question.

Here we go again...

I suppressed the urge to heave a sigh. "Alright." I forced a smile and had a seat beside her on the bed.

"So, I think I have found a wife for you." She began.

My heart thumped faster in my chest and almost leapt out. I couldn't believe my ears. We had the conversation just a few days ago and she already found a wife for me? Had she played me? Did she already have someone on the side?

Tongue-tied, I looked on, waiting impatiently for her to make things clearer to me. I had so many questions I wanted to ask, but for my own sanity, I kept mute.

"She's very beautiful, intelligent and most of all, religious. She will make an ideal wife for you." She continued; a wide smile plastered on her face.

In an impassive manner, I finally spoke up; "Who is she?" For some inexplicable reason, I felt uncanny.

"You've met her already." Mum hinted. "Maybe once or even more than that."

Bemused, I let out a humorless chuckle. "What do you mean? Who is this person you're talking about?"

"She's Manal, Farida's friend." Mum responded; taking my hand in hers. She looked up at me and slowly caressed the back of my hand. "When Farida told me about her, I instantly took a liking of her. I have only met her a few times, but I can tell she's a nice person."

"What?" I slide my hand out of mum's and rose to my feet. "Please tell me you're only joking, mum. Manal? Farida'a friend?" I frowned. The idea alone had my head spinning. I couldn't believe the effrontery of Farida. How dare she put the idea in mum's head, when I blatantly made it known to her that I was not interested and never would.

"Yes. Manal's friend." She enunciated. "Why? What's so wrong about that?"

"Everything." I scoffed. "To me, everything is wrong about that. There's no way I can consider getting married to her. She's Farida's friend for crying out loud! Do you know what that means? She's probably underaged."

Ugh!

"No one is telling you to get married to her right away," she rolled her eyes. "And for your information, she's going to be eighteen soon. For the time being, you two can get to know more about each other and then maybe get married after a year or so."

"A year?" I chuckled. "No, mum, I'm sorry, but I can't get married to my younger sister's friend." I made sure to lay emphasis on my last four words. The thought alone was unbecoming to me.

"Why?" She raised a brow. "Because you feel she's too young? Come on, Jawaad, don't be like that. If it was during our time—"

"Times have changed, mum." I pointed out.