10: Manal

The feeling of knowing I had examinations the next day, had me apprehensive. It wasn't as if I didn't trust myself to pass. I did, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get rid of the nervousness I was feeling. What if I don't reach up to my parents' expectations. Abii believed I'd pass with flying colours - he told me that himself. And because I wanted to make him and Ummi proud, I was supposed to study hard, but the problem I had was; anytime I picked up my book to study, the thought of Jawaad invaded my mind and made me lose concentration. These days, that seemed to be the only thing I did properly. I had begin to hate the feeling. I really did, especially since I embarrassed myself in his presence. Not once, but three times. For a fact, I knew he'd never take an interest in me. The reality had me demoralized.

"Manal!" Imran yelled, directly into my ear, startling me in the process.

"What?" I snapped, aggravated.

"Abi has called for you." He said and took a seat on the edge of my bed, uninvited.

"What does he want?" I asked. For some reason, I felt uneasy.

He shrugged. "How should I know?" His gaze then lingered on the textbooks scattered all over my bed. "So you're writing JAMB tomorrow?"

"Yes." I heaved a sigh. 'Why are you asking if you already know."

"It's surprising." He commented.

I raised a brow. "What is?"

"You have exams tomorrow and yet I have never seen you study. You're always either on your phone or watching movies."

"And?" I sneered, irritated.

"I think Ummi should take away your phone and give it back after your exams." He paused for a while, a smirk playing on his lips. "I will be surprised if you actually reach the cut off mark."

"Get out of my room, Imran!"

"I don't plan on staying anyways." He turned to leave, but abruptly stopped and turned around. "Abi is waiting for you."

After he had left, I arranged my books on my reading table and left for Abi and ummi's room.

When I pushed open the door, I met him lying on his bed, his eyes closed. It seemed he was sleeping.

"I will just return later." I mumbled and turned to leave, but was stopped by abii's groggy voice.

"Princess." He called.

I instantly spun around and walked towards him. "Sorry, abii. I didn't mean to wake you up. I can come back some other time."

"It's fine." He replied and sat up. "Actually, I wasn't asleep. I'm just stressed out. These past few days have been hectic for me."

"I think you should take a leave from work." I suggested.

"Maybe next month." He massaged his forehead with one hand and patted the space beside him with the other one. "Come sit. There is something I need to talk to you about."

At first, my heart raced, but I managed to calm it, by assuring myself it had to be something inconsequential. In the past few days, I hadn't made any more mistakes, or have I?

"What are you thinking? Come on."

I snapped out of my trance and walked towards the bed, then sat down beside him.

"You're writing your examinations tomorrow, right?" He inquired.

"Yes, abii." I responded.

"Do you need help studying?"