98: Manal

I felt feeble. I couldn't even lift my limps. It almost seemed as if I was paralyzed or constrained by some strong force. I opened my eyes to an unknown room. I tried to get up but my effort was futile. I realized I had indeed been bound to the bed by ropes-my feet and hands.

My breath hitched in my throat. I couldn't figure out how I got there. My mind was completely blank. All I could think of was how to get out of the room and fast! The red lightning illuminating the room was dim.

My fear intensified when I heard the sounds of footsteps approaching. I began to mutter duas beneath my breath.

The doorknob turned and Hala's friend walked in.

Adam?

My eyes widened in shock. The first thought that invaded my mind was deception. I had been deceived by Hala yet again.

In an attempt to spurn the insinuation from my mind, I shook my head. Hala and I had a misunderstanding, but it was in the past, and we had already put that behind us. There had to be a misunderstanding somewhere.

"Hi, sweetheart," Adam smirked. "Missed me?"

I resisted the urge to spit on his face. I had to be tactical to get away from him. "What do you want from me?" I asked in a subdued voice. I was controlling myself so badly from shouting for help. "Where is Hala? Does she even know about this?"

"Hala?" He laughed out loud.

His reaction confirmed my hunch. He indeed conspired with Hala to kidnap me.

But why?

The question lingered in my mind.

"Please let me go," I beseeched. "I have done nothing to you. I don't even know you before today. If you were paid to keep me here, I promise to pay you double of what you were given if you'd just let me go. Keeping me here will be of no benefit to you."

"You think so?" He chuckled. "Keeping you here will be of a huge benefit to me. Just wait and see."

Tears prickled my eyes at the seriousness in his tone. He was getting scarier by the second. "What have I done to you?"

"Oh!" He nodded his head repeatedly. "Playing dumb, are we? Well," he sunk his fingers in his beards. "It doesn't matter right now. What matters is that I will finally be able to have my revenge, and you know what's even more interesting?"

Tears ran down my cheeks as I listened to him acting like the worst villain in a movie.

"I will be getting cash for it." He smiled sheepishly. "A lot of cash. Doesn't that sound interesting?"

"Hala paid you, didn't she?" It hurt to even imagine her giving the order. After all, we had been through together? Despite everything she did to me, I forgave her and even gave her a place in my house. I loved her genuinely.

"Anyone that sees you from afar will think you're one sophisticated, intelligent babe, but you're far from that," he shook his head. "You're so naive-much more naive than my five-year-old cousin, and you're dense. I honestly wonder how you do well in your studies. How can you be so stupid not to see the signs? I mean, the signs were so glaring. I thought you'd figure it all out when you were being compelled to drink. Gosh! What are you? Ten?"

Hala spiked my drink!

"Right now," he continued. "I feel foolish for falling in love with you before. This your big head just dey empty. You just fine for nothing."

"What?" Although he sounded irritating, I hoped I'd be able to use his words to my advantage. "If you really love me like you-"

"Loved." He emphasized. "Not anymore. I decided to withdraw the day you blatantly rejected me in the presence of my friends." He hissed. "Do you know how embarrassed I was?"