34: Jawaad

I hit the brakes and reclined backwards on the seat, waiting rather impatiently for Farida to get in, so we could leave. Initially, I wasn't the one who was supposed to come pick her up, but unfortunately, the driver fell sick and needed to take a break from work. In spite of having so much to do at the office, I was left with no choice, but to take over the role. Although it wasn't that big of a deal, it wasn't planned, thereby, leading to the cancelation of important stuff.

"What's taking her this long?" I muttered, craning my neck to the side to see what she was up to.

I puffed out air from my mouth when I saw her approaching the car. She wasn't alone though. She had two girls  with her.

The first girl looked familiar—very familiar. If I was not mistaken, she was Manal, the girl Farida had told me about the last time she visited—thr same one she had written JAMB with.

I alighted from the car in order to help Farida stuff her luggage in the trunk.

"Jawaad!" Farida walked up to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. "Thanks for coming." She whispered, before letting go of me.

I smiled in response and stretched out a hand to collect her suitcase from her, but before I could, the second girl that was with Farida nudged me with her shoulder and her lips spread into a sheepish smile.

Bemused, I questionably raised an eyebrow.

"Hi, Jawaad!"

"Sorry, who are you?" I inquired. I just hoped I didn't sound rude, because it wasn't my intention.

"Ah! Don't tell me you've forgotten me so soon, Jawaad." She purred. 

I became even more confused. In an attempt to get an answer to my question, I looked at Farida, who only pursed up her lips and shrugged in nonchalance.

"I'm the Hala, the girl you spoke to, was it last week or last two weeks? Do you remember me now?"

"Honestly, I don't. Are you a friend of Farida's?"

"No, she's not." Farida chimed in. "She isn't." She clarified. "Actually, we don't even get along. She's Manal's roommate."

"Oh!" I remarked and turned to Farida's friend, who had been eerily quiet and seemed to be lost in her thoughts. She looked sick to me.

"Manal is also going back home today. I asked her to ride with us. That's fine by you, right?" Farida asked.

"Of course." I responded. Knowing the kind of a person I was, Farida knew I would never refuse to allow her friend hitch a ride with us and she just had to ask. Perhaps to put me in the spotlight. "She may come with us if she wants."

I opened the trunk and put in Farida and her friend's luggage.

By the time I was done, Farida had already settled in the front seat.

"Bye, Amiga. I will miss you a lot." The girl who had introduced herself as Hala hugged Manal for a while, before letting go. "Call me when you get home, okay?"

"Sure." Manal replied.

"Safe journey." Hala mouthed.

At first, I thought she was speaking to her friend, until she added my name. "Jawaad."

"Thank you." I responded and proceeded to get into the car. 

Right after, Manal did the same and I ignited the car.

The silence in the air was ominous. The state of affair reminded me of way back when mum and dad would have an altercation. Overwrought with disquietude, Farida and I would end up staring at each other and dwelling in solitude. I was few years older than Farida then. I manifestly understood what was going on and it didn't sit well with me. I hated the fact that they cosily did it in front of us—expecially in front of Farida. It didn't happen often—at least not that I witnessed, but the few times it did, I wished they had been considerate enough to take it to their enclosed space. Without mincing words, it was my reaction that always rubbed off Farida.