Chapter 29

Mina throws her head back and laughs, her gummy smile shining brightly because Dahyun actually steps on Momo who stumbles and falls backwards but is caught by Tzuyu. Momo starts to giggle because her toe hurts. The laughter is so infectious soon it has the whole crew roaring with laughter.

Chaeyoung stops laughing and takes a moment to admire Mina.

"What?" Mina tucks a lock of hair behind her ears self consciously.

"Nothing." Chaeyoung shrugs with a grin.

Mina shoves her slightly on her shoulder making the younger girl laugh again.

"It's the barn dance Dahyun, not the death dance. Lets try to keep Momo alive for the next shot okay?" The director yells through the loudspeaker in a joking tone.

Another round of laughter ripples through the set. Across the set, Mina sees Jeongyeon chuckling away holding a hand to her ribs. By her side Nayeon who's always abundant on energy is shuffling on her feet and smiling softly at the trio. Her hands often rubs her arms to create friction to ward off the cold. She's wearing a derby hat so her haircut isn't visible from the distance but she definitely looks chic in her dark brown shirt, suspenders and trousers.

"I think you're going to be with Chaeyoung." Jihyo smiles broadly giving Mina a thumbs up. "It's an easy win against Jeongyeon and Nayeon because you know how Jeongyeon loves to step on people's feet, even more so than Dahyun."

Chaeyoung hears Jihyo's remark and throws a smirk at Jeongyeon who catches her eyes and quirks an eyebrow. Jeongyeon is definitely clumsy but that makes her a little more endearing, but Chaeyoung would never admit that to the older girl.

"Time for the next call." The director's voice booms through the loudspeakers.

Chaeyoung is ready for this. She always get paired with Mina and they have really good coordination together. She's confident they can place first or maybe second behind Jihyo and Sana. Mina is a terrific dancer, so she's sure they're going to be the first. She straightens up, ready for the director to call her name.

"Mina and Nayeon."

Chaeyoung sighs. She has no chance of winning anything with a Jeongyeon by her side.

Mina grows still for a second. The heat that has been creeping up her body leaves suddenly, sending a chill through her spine. She hasn't had a shot alone with Nayeon in over three years, she's not sure if she's ready for this when they're not even speaking to each other.

She's not even angry at the older girl, just disappointed. Disappointment can be worse than anger because it strikes when you least expect it. It destroys years of trust leaving behind a trail of regrets and broken hopes.

Mina's breath seem to stutter in her lungs before she lets it go, feeling the tension drain from her body. Her breathing returns to normal and she nods her head as if she could face the problem. "I'll be there."

She shrugs off her coat and gives it to the assistant who takes it away for her.

"You'll be dancing for Kate and Leo's Famous Irish dance from Titanic." The assistant director tells her.

Mina licks her dry lips and nods her head.

"We'll run the video only once and you'll have to memorize those steps and recreate it in the second take. Are we clear?"

Her pulse begins to race slightly. Chaeyoung and her have decent chemistry and coordination, they could have tried to pull this off but with Nayeon she doesn't know what to expect because she's in unknown territory.

"Crystal clear." She says politely as ever, masking her own concern.

"Minaya I love you." Momo cheers from the sidelines and Mina laughs softly at her childlike innocence and enthusiasm.

The assistant guides her to the seats that's assigned for them to watch the scene. She feels Nayeon come to sit by her side but doesn't bother looking at her. The scene begins to play. Mina gives all her attention to the screen as she begins to memorize the dance sequence.

"Are you ready for your take?"

The director asks from behind the camera and Mina throws a hesitant smile at her.

"Standby 3..2..1.."

"Roll sound.. camera ready?...and action.."

Mina turns to her side and steps into the waiting arms. Her eyes shift upwards and she feels her breath catching in her throat. The girls haven't been lying, Nayeon really does look dashing.

Mina sees Nayeon's dark eyes widen as if she just realized the situation she is in and bites back a smile despite the awkwardness between them.

"Cut.."

The director frowns at them because they're just standing there, not moving to the music. "Is everything ok?"

Mina flushes a little and throws an apologetic glance at the woman behind the camera. "I'm sorry Unnie, can we go again?"

They redo the take.

"Look at my Jack and Rose." Momo sighs dramatically. The cameras are rolling and Nayeon and Mina who are both excellent dancers pull the moves off perfectly, laughing and dancing together like the professionals they are.

"And cut. Brilliant chemistry there guys. Well done." The director declares.

Nayeon lets go off Mina immediately and rushes towards where Jeongyeon is, not so much as looking her in the eye.

Mina picks up the coat from the assistant director and wraps it around her body again even though she feels warm now.

"I am so fucking screwed." Chaeyoung exclaims looking at the clumsy clown that is Jeongyeon approach her with a big devious grin.