Chapter 36

It's been a few days since Linh left. I truly don't know how, because as soon as there's three people left, I'm supposed to choose within a few days. At least, that's the custom.

Guess I'm great at stalling. 

Time to stall some more! What should I do?

I ponder the thought as I stroll through the halls, but my mind soon wanders from the topic. Something sparkles in the corner of my eyes, and I turn to see what it is.

The sunshine from a window falls upon Tam, making the edges of his body seem wreathed by a light, gilded in gold like the most precious of objects. 

My heart skips a beat. Or two, or three. I have to fight back my blush when Tam looks at me, scrunching his eyebrows in concern. 

Think fast, Keefe!

"Tammy," I whine, draping my arms across his shoulders, "Let's go on a date."

Tam's face flushes a light pink as I grab his hand and we dash through the halls. I pass my room, then quickly dart in, grab a pre-prepared basket, and run out, grabbing his hand again and pulling him along.

We dash through the halls, skidding around the corners, and I'm glad that I've left my crown and cape back in my room. It would just slow me down.

We eventually reach outside, and I flop onto the ground, staring up at the sky. After a moment, Tam joins me.

My hand finds his as we stare up at the clouds.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I ask him. 

He glances over at me, a smile flickering across his lips, "Yeah."

"Just like you." I tease, smiling all the while.

I'm a master at making Tam blush.

I suddenly pull him off of the ground, full of excitement, and try to run around, but I accidentally stumble, and we fall, rolling down the hill.

The roll is filled with grunts of pain as we hit a rock, and then we finally stop.

I push myself up to find Tam underneath me, and I smile at him. "Well, hello there."

Tam blushes as I boop his nose, rolling off of him and pulling him up.

We go back up to the top of the hill, where I spread out a blanket and pull out the food from the basket.

Tam plops down next to me. "A picnic?"

I grin. "Yep!" Then I chomp into a sandwich.

Tam snickers at my puffed cheeks before he grabs a sandwich for himself, taking small, delicate bites of it, ever the gentleman.

I slow down my pace, feeling embarrassed at the fact that I had finished so fast. 

But he finishes his sandwich shortly after, so we're all good. The sandwiches are light, leaving plenty of room for other foods. 

"Hey, do you have any Bottles of Youth on you?" Tam asks, glancing at the basket, "I'm a bit thirsty."

"I mean. . ." I dig into the bag, pulling out a bottle of fizzleberry wine and a jug of cinnacreme, "Take your pick."

He stares at the wine with raises eyebrows. "Alcohol during the day, Keefe? Such a rebel." He pokes me playfully, and I laugh.

"Heeey, it's the afternoon! It'll be alright if we get a little tipsy."

Tam pales, quietly staring off into the distance. "Last time you got drunk, things went crazy."

"When did I-"