Chapter 16

"Come on, Keefe!" 

An outstretched hand, brown eyes like pools of honey in the sun. I grab her hand, and a burst of energy goes through me, spurring me forward. 

Sophie was laughing, and I was running, and the world was lit up with light. 

I run, chasing her as she stands on the top of a hill, then tackling her. We roll all the way down together, getting dirt all over us, but we didn't care.

When we get to the bottom, I'm laying on top of her. She gives me a smile, and I let myself lean down, sealing this moment with a breathless kiss. 

"Are you afraid?"

Marella's eyes are wide, lit by the roaring fire around us, burning the house into cinders, a fire of her fault. But despite the heat, I find myself grinning at her, knowing that she can control her ability.

"Not at all."

Her lips meet mine in a rush, and I feel a warmth inside of me, and the heat around us is forgotten, swallowed by this passionate kiss. 

"I can't believe it!" 

Biana's glare seems angry, but I can tell that she's truly delighted by the business proposal. She walks to her room, a hand trailing over photos of us together.

I walk up to her, gently taking her by the hand and pulling her to me with a laugh.

"Well, believe it, because it's happening."

Our kiss is a quiet one, like so many others.

"I'm scared." Linh's gaze wavers with fear. I gently take her hand, gesturing at the beautiful watershow that she's created. 

Water gently spirals down around us, and I smile at her, stroking her hair and giving her a chaste kiss on the cheek. 

"It'll be okay." I whisper to her. Linh meets my eyes, then pulls me in.

The kiss is sweet and gentle, filled with an intimate joy and happiness.

"I-I need to tell you something." I fidget with my hands, as the other person stills, looking at me. For some reason, they tug on their hair nervously. I can't make out who they are, since they're simply a shadowy figure.

"What is it, Keefe?" 

I take their hands, more of a plea than a romantic gesture. 

"I think I love you." I whisper into the night air.

The other person looks shocked, before smiling and saying, "I think I love you too." 

I lean down into the slightly shorter figure, our lips meeting in a kiss, one that's filled with love, one that's more tangible, more real, than anything I've ever experienced.

"Keefe, you okay?"

I sit up and open my eyes to see Lena and Fitz staring at me worriedly. 

"Yeah," I stretch and yawn, "Why?"

Fitz rubs his neck awkwardly. "You were talking really quietly in your sleep?"

I narrow my eyes at him. "What did I say?"

He sighs. "At first you were grinning like you went on a rollercoaster, then you were whispering 'not at all', then you said 'believe it', then you mumbled 'it'll be okay'-