Chapter 3

It's been a few days since that fateful report, and why the heck is Jensi waking me up this early?

Don't tell me it's time for my Selection already. It's not, right? I didn't sleep through a whole week.

"Jensi, can you please go away?"

"Keefe, you need to wake up!" he grumbles, poking me repeatedly.

I wave a hand at him. "Nope."

Jensi seizes the opportunity and grabs my hand, yanking me out of bed. I quickly undress, getting into the warm water and leaning back. 

Something must be happening today, because Jensi only uses one of my shampoos and one conditioner, which is even worse than mixing them together. 

"Jensi, is something happening today?" I mumble, eyes half closed. Jensi quickly rinses my hair before answering.

"Yeah." 

Wow. So informative. 

"So like, what?" I step out of the tub, pulling my towel around me and facing Jensi. Jensi rolls his eyes, heading to my closet.

He lays out some dark jeans and a blue button-down shirt, then looks at me. In a grave tone, he answers, "The forms for all of the girls have came in." Then he quickly flees.

I wrinkle my nose at the jeans, tossing them into the back of my closet, before pulling out some gray pants that probably went along with a fancy jacket, once upon a time.

I examine the pants, seeing that they're slightly wrinkled. People probably won't notice. 

In a last minute decision, I swap out the button-down for a blue bramble jersey. Hey, if I need to do something boring, might as well be comfortable, right?

I quickly pull on some socks and shoes, running down the hallway to where Errol is waiting. 

"Hey, Forkle." I grin. Errol raises an eyebrow, taking my arm and tugging me to the library.

When we finally reach the library, I get pushed into a desk (with an annoyingly uncomfortable chair) and I'm given a stack of papers.

I'm supposed to read all of these? Unbelievable.

I pick one at random, reading it. Stina Heks, it reads, daughter of Timkin Heks and Vika Heks. There's a picture of her, she looks okay. Nice hair, but not as nice as mine. Apparently her parents help alicorns. Good for them, I guess.

I go through them all, groaning at Biana's heart doodles and excessively cute handwriting, and being shocked by the amount of abilities that Sophie Foster has. She can Teleport? Unfair.

I'm finally at the last one, a rather pretty-looking girl. She has silver-blue eyes and black hair, with silver on the ends. Linh Song. I read through her paper, paying attention to the details.

Let's see, she's a Hydrokinetic (isn't that pretty rare?), she has a twin, she likes murcats, she's 21, like me. Then I read the note at the bottom of the paper.

When I was first getting my Hydrokinetic abilities, I accidentally flooded the Kingdom of Atlantis. Because of that, my twin brother, Tam, is coming along to protect me from people who would harm me.

"What the fuck?" I whisper, reading that over again. First of all, she's flooded the Kingdom of Atlantis. Atlantis. And she did that when she first Manifested. Holy shit, how powerful is she? And secondly, is her brother even allowed to come?

That's just wonderful. A twin brother.

How the heck am I supposed the flirt with her if she's got a protective brother? That makes things harder.

Well, at least I won't have to flirt much. Nearly all of the girls are in love with me already. 

"Errol?" I call, "I'm done." The only reason I finished so fast was because I skipped all the boring people. Times like these are when I love having a photographic memory.

"Okay." Errol picks up the stack of papers, tucking them in a folder, then passes me a large tome, filled with the great history of our kingdom. Haven't I read this before? "Now study."

My protests are to no avail, since Errol quickly disappears. With a sigh, I flip open the book, and get to work.

The book. . . is actually more interesting than I thought. When I got to the chapter on Atlantis, there was a mention of The Girl Of Many Floods, who I guess is Linh.

That. . . is honestly really amazing. She's part of history. Even more reason for me to flirt with her. 

I'm betting she'll be stealing all my attention once she arrives, if her personality matches her actions. Bold, bright, and beautiful, maybe? She's got the beauty down, all right. 

A servant gives me a blitzenberry muffin, which tastes incredible, with the smooth cake and the fizzing berries. It gives me a boost, enough that I actually manage to finish a few of the chapters.

I don't know how much time passes before Errol comes back again. I finished around half of the book, and Errol quickly puts the book away before sitting in front of me.

"Keefe, you're going to memorize all of the girls' names." He tells me. "When I hold up a picture, you have to say who it is."

I nod, and he holds up a photo. Let's see, long blonde hair, brown eyes- Oh, right.

"Sophie Foster." I answer confidently, and Errol nods. Sophie was, strangely, the only elf that had brown eyes.

Another picture, a girl with curly brown hair and purple-blue eyes.

"Marella Redek?" I voice it as a question, and Errol shakes his head 'no'. I suddenly remember her hair, guessing again.

"Stina Heks?" 

Errol nods, picking up the next picture, and we continue on.

I manage to identify most of the girls after then, especially Stina, since Errol threatened that I would forgo dinner if I didn't do this.

I groan, flopping onto my bed, before someone comes in. 

"Keefe, sit up and be presentable." It's the voice of my father, Cassius Sencen.

"Father, why are you here?" I ask, sitting up. He quickly sets a tray of food on my desk.

"I heard that you might be hungry." he mumbles.

"Oh." My mouth twists into a surprised little smile, "Thanks."

There's a long silence where he stares at his feet, his crown miraculously staying on his head as he refuses to meet my eyes. I stare at a spot on my wall where I've put up several drawings. 

Finally, he leaves and I am alone and hungry.

I fall upon the food with a vengeance, eating it. Why does it taste so good, even though I had to earn it through memorization? Ugh. 

As the humans say, no pain, no gain.

A servant passes by, taking my empty tray and leaving me in contemplative silence. She glances at me, looking a bit concerned, then quickly scurries out.

I couldn't believe that the Selected would be here in a week. Why did I agree to this in the first place?

Oh, right. Because I didn't want to marry Lena-

The phone on my desk rings, and I pick it up. "Hello?" 

"Keefe!" Someone shouts excitedly. It takes me a moment or two to recognize the voice.

"Lena?"

~~~~~~~~~ AUTHOR'S NOTE ~~~~~~~~~

Soo, this chapter might've not been as exciting as the other few. . . but it'll get better! The Selected are arriving in the next chapter! Who's excited?

I hope you guys liked the chapter!