Chapter 13

"Wake up, you lazy idiot!"

Why do my mornings always start with someone yelling at me to wake up? 

I mumble incoherently, tossing my pillow at Lena's voice. Then I roll off the bed because I have no pillow, landing on my feet and zombie walking to the bathroom.

After brushing my teeth, I stumble back to my room to see Lena casually lounging on my bed.

"Get off, you absolute white crayon." I grumble, and Lena laughs.

"Did you just insinuate that I'm white?"

"No, I insinuated that you're useless."

"Keefe, you know that all of your Selected are outside the door?" Lena whispers, eyeing the slightly open door. "I'm pretty sure they all followed me."

Time to give them a show.

I sneak a glance at the door, tousling my hair. I hear a few giggles from outside the door.

Then, yawning, I casually take off my shirt, trying to ignore the squeals and gasps from the onlooking girls. Then I walk into my closet, choosing my clothing and changing in there.

After coming out of the closet, I see Lena rifling through my desk drawer. The girls have disappeared, probably to go down to breakfast or something. I'd say I miss their attention, but it felt like they were paparazzi. 

"Aw, Keefie, look!" Lena holds up a photo of me and her as kids. I have a plastic crown on my head while I cross my arms, pouting, and Lena has her hands on her hips as she wears a plastic rose-gold crown.

"Look at your hair!" I snicker, pointing at the picture. Lena's curls are in an afro around her head. Even now, they're still as curly, but more manageable. Like right now, she's plaited them into cornrows. Where does she even find the time to do that?

"Look at your clothes!" Lena retorts, and I look more closely. Someone, maybe my parents or something, must have dressed me in a ridiculous off-white sweater vest.

"Ew!" I shout, snatching the picture and stuffing it back in my desk. "Horrible."

Lena rolls her eyes, "Anyways," she takes my arm, leading me towards the dining hall, "Which of the girls are you going for right now?"

I groan. "That's such a hard question!" I pout, then think about it. "Honestly, I really like Sophie, she's mysterious and interesting. Marella's cool and nice and flirty, and I feel like if this weren't the circumstance, we could be good friends."

Lena mutters something like, ". . . then we could date."

"What?" I ask.

Her head snaps up, "Nothing. Continue."

"Um, Biana's actually okay? I feel like there's a side to her that I've never seen before. And Linh's always really kind and sweet. I feel like Linh's also a lot more appealing because she has her brother guarding her, so that ups the interest factor."

Lena stares at me for a solid minute, before shaking her head and laughing. "Wow, Keefe, you managed to say something intelligent."

I roll my eyes. "Shut up."

We reach the dining room, and Lena claps me on the shoulder. "Welp, I got something important to tell you later. See ya." 

Then she shoots me a finger gun, sitting at her seat. I sigh, walking to the separate table where I sit with my Selected.

For some reason, Linh keeps looking impatiently at the door, completely ignoring her food. After a little while, Tam pokes his head through, but doesn't enter, and Linh quickly gets up.