Chapter 35

A few weeks have passed since Biana's Disappearance™. I say that because Biana's been avoiding me ever since.

Also, what's up with Linh? She seems really out of it.

Even the cookies I made for her haven't helped whatsoever. Quite rude of her, really. 

But I have responsibilities as a king, so I can't see my Selected whenever I want. Although, if I think about it, Linh hasn't been speaking to me much lately. 

Like, obviously we're friends and all, but we haven't gone on any dates recently. I haven't really wanted to. 

Should I dismiss her?

I. . . I don't want to. And what if it affects Tam? What if he also decides to leave because Linh has left? No, don't think that. 

But would he really do that? After all, Tam's not staying in this for his twin sister, he's staying because he has feelings for me. Because. . . he loves me.

The thought sends a thrill through my body, and, stupid as it is, I blush at the thought.

Or at least, I hope he loves me. Him loving me would be pretty nice. 

"Hey, what's got you all broody?" Fitz jokes, slinging an arm over my shoulder.

"Broody?"

"Brooding plus moody. Broody."

I frown. "Fitzy, I don't think that's how it works."

"Hey, you don't get to call him Fitzy!" Dex pouts, popping up from somewhere (he and Fitz seem to be joined at the hip), "Only I get to call him that."

I pause. "Well, he's got plenty of other nicknames."

"Liiiiike?" Dex prompts me, a smile spreading across his face.

"Fitzter, Chandelier Head, Avery, Pretty Boy," I tease, watching Fitz's face get redder with every word, especially his middle name. Finally, Dex grins triumphantly.

"Aha! There's one nickname which is strictly forbidden for you to call him." Dex grins.

"Oh yeah? And what's that?"

Dex smiles, pulling Fitz away as he sings the nickname. "Wonderboyyyy!"

Errol taps me sharply on the shoulder. "Pri- King Keefe," He corrects himself, "There's a meeting that you need to attend."

My lips tug down at his slip-up, as he should be used to the fact that I'm king by now. I certainly don't feel like a king, but I am king.

Honestly, one of the only good things about this gig is the clothes. I'm currently dressed in what seems to be my "casual" outfit nowadays - a form-fitting light gray undershirt with a darker gray vest on top, black pants and boots, a dark purple-and-gold cape, and my crown. 

The cape was admittedly smaller than the one in my coronation outfit, but it still was fancy. While I had to wear my crown at all times in public, I was (thankfully) allowed to switch between a smaller crown and my normal crown.

I like wearing the smaller one more - it makes me feel more comfortable in my role, less like a king and more like a matured prince, the prince I never was.

Wow, that got deep.

I startle back into attention when two large, oaken doors are opened, to show the Councillors sitting in their seats, high and imposing above me. Honestly, I feel a little nervous.

Councillor Oralie gives me a small smile as I glance at her, and seeing a friendly face makes me smile, too.

"Keefe," Errol starts explaining (making me feel like a child), "This is the Tribunal Hall, where we told Tribunals as well as important meetings."

"Alright." I nod. "So what did you want to discuss?" Ooooh, discuss. Nice vocab, me.

"We wanted to talk about your status as a king." Emery informs me politely, "We feel that you have been yet to be taken seriously as a king, and we should take actions so the public can view you as one."

"So what do you want me to do?" I ask, "I know I'm busy with the Selection, but that doesn't mean that I can't be a king."

"Yes, exactly." Oralie nods, "So we were thinking to let you take a 'tour' of sorts throughout the cities, where you can meet more of your people and personally help them with your problems. That way, they can see how you will rule and guide them."

I think about this and nod. "Okay, so when should we do this?"

"Preferably after you announce your engagement to whoever you choose. That way the two of you can present a united force and a strong union, as well as showing that you two love each other."

"Alright, that sounds good. I'm gonna go now?" The way I phrase it makes it seem like a question, which I mentally chastise myself for. I was a king. I could dismiss myself from a room.

I wave to the Council, turning and exiting the room.

A little while later, I'm peacefully strolling through the gardens when I bump into someone. Why does this happen so often?

"Oh, hey, Keefe." Linh gives me a shy smile and a wave.

"Hey." I smile at her. She seems a bit on-edge for some reason, fidgeting with the ends of her hair.

"Did you have something you needed to talk to me about? Or did you just want a chance to take a look at my hot self?" I try for a smile, which Linh returns.

"I. . . I. . ." She seems to have a hard time saying something, and it finally dawns on me. Why she's been acting so weirdly, why she wants to talk to me, and why it's hard for her to say it.

"You're in love with someone else." I realize. 

My heart drops as Linh confirms this with a nod. I sigh, looking down at my feet, then looking back up with a sudden thought.

"How come everyone's falling in love with other people?" I ask, "Am I really that horrible?"

Linh laughs, "No, you're not!"

"Then who is it?" I ask interestedly.

Linh blushes. "I don't want to tell you just yet. And besides, if the press found out I had started dating someone as soon as I left the Selection, I might get accused of treason."

"So you're already dating?"

"What? Oh, no, of course not. I'm going to ask them to date me after your engagement is announced, and maybe it can be leaked to the press sometime after your wedding."

I think about this. "That actually sounds like a good idea. But anyways, Linh, even though you won't be in the Selection anymore, don't be a stranger. And tell that to Biana too. I kinda miss her."

Linh nods, blushing a bit, and I lean forwards, pecking her on the cheek and then walking away, feeling far more sorrowful than I had been before I came into the gardens.

~~~~~~~~~ AUTHOR'S NOTE ~~~~~~~~~

First of all - THIS IS AT 6K READS WHAT THE HECKITY HECK- Should I do something for 6k? Any suggestions? 

So, there was some Fedex, Keefe must prove his kingliness, and Linh has been dismissed. We're down to Tam and Sophie now *rubs hands together evilly*. I'm honestly really excited to write this.

Also, lemme treat you with this little gem I came up with.

keefe: do you ever have those days where you wake up, feeling amazing, and your parents are treating you nicely for a change and you just had a really good breakfast 

keefe: but then you look in the mirror and see that your hair is purple and you have to murder a certain technopath 

sophie: should i be concerned????

dex: yES