Chapter 29

Time feels frozen as we kiss for a million years, but it's probably only a moment or two. Suddenly, my mind is racing as I feel Tam's surprise and anxiety spike up. He's not kissing me back. That can't be good.

Tam pulls away, his face red. Shit, I messed up again, didn't I?

"What was that, Keefe?" he asks, and despite his blush, his eyes are steel. "Because if you're playing with my feelings, I swear-"

I finally manage to speak again. "I'm not."

"So tell me then, why'd you do that?"

I lower my gaze to the floor, not wanting to meet the intensity of Tam's silver eyes. "Because I have feelings for you."

"B-but you're straight, aren't you?" His voice is barely more than a whisper.

"Nope," I give him a smile, "I'm bisexual!" I give him jazz hands.

"That's good, right?" Tam gives me a tentative smile. I nod.

"Also, sorry about surprise-kissing you earlier, which is why I'd like to ask now. Can I kiss you?"

He nods, and I lean forward, smiling into the kiss. He reciprocates it, and I think everything's going fine, until he quickly pulls away, looking horrified.

"What about the Selection?"

"....Shit."

Now I'm overthinking. I don't want it to seem like I'm cheating on the Selection or something, but I can't just string Tam along. I wish I could get him into the Selection somehow. 

When I get back to my room, my chair slowly spins around to reveal Ro, fully healed, her arm out of a sling. She looks murderous.

"Uh, hi." I say nervously.

Ro crosses her arms over her chest, raising an eyebrow. She reminds me of Father. "Where were you?"

I pause., debating if I should tell her or not. "None of your business."

Ro shrugs. "Fine then. Don't tell me. However, I'd like to let you know that I'm going to follow you everywhere from now on."

I groan, flopping onto my bed as Ro turns the lights out, standing guard outside my door.

The next day, I can barely look at Tam without blushing. I give him small smiles when I see him, and my mind keeps going back to the night before. 

For some reason, though, Biana is unnaturally skittish around me, looking nervously at me and Tam. Finally, in the afternoon, she approaches me.

"Keefe," she says, her tone hushed, "I need to talk to you about something." 

I shrug. "Sure, what's up?"

She leads me to her room, and I stand awkwardly in the doorframe as she rummages through her desk drawer, before pulling something out. She keeps her back to me so I can't see whatever it is.

"So, Keefe, yesterday I was in my room, right? I'm practicing my photography. So I saw something interesting, and took a picture."

"Yeah, cool." I say, not really paying attention.

Suddenly, Biana goes invisible, using her ability as a Vanisher. I find myself pinned to the wall, her elbow pressing against my throat as she shoves the picture in my face.

"What the hell is this?"

My eyes widen as I look at it. It's a picture of me and Tam, kissing. 

"I- uh, I can explain."

So I do. I explain our's feelings for each other, but I also explain how I cared about all the girls in the Selection, so I had absolutely no idea what to do at the moment.

Biana pauses in thought. "I have an idea that I'm going to discuss with my dad - don't worry, I won't tell him anything about you. But I think you should also talk to my dad."

"Yeah, makes sense." I shrug. "Are you going to tell me your idea?"

"Nope."

I sigh. "Okay then."

The next few days pass by in a blur. Another Report comes and goes. I go on more dates, all the while trying to figure out a solution to this problem. 

"Hey, Bee." I say, casually slinging an arm across her shoulder, "Have you figured something out yet?"

"Maybe?" she shrugs, fiddling with the end of her braid. 

"Okay, cool. Catch ya later." I say, pulling away to head off towards the kitchens. 

I find Sophie and Fitz there, both of them baking something and chatting. I catch the names 'Dex', 'Keefe', and 'Marella'. 

I wonder what they're planning.

I slowly walk up to them.

"Okay, sure, but Marel- Oh, hey Keefe!" she says, her voice an octave higher than usual.

"Hey, Foster. Planning a prank on Marella and Dex?"

"Uh," she glances over at Fitz, who shrugs. "Yeah."

"Count me in!" I grin, "I've been so bored for the past few days!"

"Excuse me?" Sophie says, giving me a playful push, "Ha, says the prince! Don't you have to prepare for running a kingdom and all that shit?"

"Ugh, you had to remind me. I'll do that later - let's bake!"

A few days later, I cautiously approach Alden's office. He'd always been like a second father to me, in place of Dad. So maybe, just maybe, he'd be fine with all this.

He looks up as I enter the room. 

"Keefe?" he asks, brows knitted in concern, "What's wrong?"

"I. . . have something to tell you?"

He gives me a smile, getting up from his desk and placing a hand on my shoulder. The fatherly gesture makes me a little less worried.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure there's no reason to wo-"

I blurt it out. "I'm bisexual, and I like Tam."

Alden's teal eyes stare at me, in surprise, in pride, and in shock.

"We might have a reason to worry."

~~~~~~~~~ AUTHOR'S NOTE ~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! What's up? Sorry for this chapter being so short - I promise the next one will be wAy better. 

So. KEEFE AND TAM KISSED ASDFGHJKL- Ro is also suspicious of Keefe. Also, Keefe consults Biana (who took a pic of the kiss.) Annnnnd Keefe comes out to Alden!

I hope you guys liked the chapter!

(also, how do you guys feel about Ruy x Alvar?)