Chapter 10

"Um, Prince Keefe?"

Someone pokes me, and I groan.

"Jensi, I'm going to murder you one day." I mumble.

There's a pause. "Uh, I'm not Jensi?"

Is this the day I get murdered? 

My eyes shoot open, and I roll out of bed, picking up my pillow and holding it threateningly. My vision clears to see a strawberry-blond haired boy with a dimpled smile and periwinkle eyes, dressed in a guard outfit.

If he's a murderer, he would kill me with his cuteness. 

"Who're you?" I ask with a yawn. The boy laughs, bright and full of energy. He extends a hand.

"I'm Dex Dizznee, and I've been appointed as your new guard."

Oh shit, I completely forgot about that. In the last meeting with the royal advisors, there had been a mention of new recruits coming to the palace. I was supposed to get an ogre bodyguard at some point, too. 

"But you're - what? The same age as me, right?"

Dex nods, a smile still on his face. I groan. "I didn't know there were two suns." 

Dex raises an eyebrow, looking a bit confused.

I flop into my bed. "Your smile's blinding me."

Dex blushes, and awkwardly walks out of the room, just as Errol comes in.

"Hey, Forkie, why the hell do I have a guard now?" I ask him.

Like obviously, the palace has new recruits, but why do I need a new guard? Am I in danger?

Errol frowns deeply. "No reason that you should be worried about right now. We're discussing it with everyone later today."

"Like everyone everyone?"

Errol sighs. "Yes, Keefe, that's what 'everyone' means." He exits shortly after.

"Ugh, fine." I grumble, pulling some clothes on. 

I walk out of my room to find Dex chatting with Fitz, both with a smile on their faces, and then Fitz sees me. 

Fitz waves, and Dex quickly turns and bows. I stop him, pulling him up to face me. 

"Dex, don't you dare bow at me." I scold him, smiling a little. 

Though I may be the Prince, I don't want everyone to bow. 

Dex grins, "Okay. Also, what do you want me to do? Like, follow you around or something?"

I pause, considering this, then nod. Dex smiles, discreetly following me as I walk with Fitz.

"So, Fitzy, do you know why I have a guard?"

Fitz looks at me, a bemused expression on his face. "Of course you don't know. Well, he's going to tell everyone when we get there, so. . ." he shrugs, "Yeah." 

"Great." I groan, walking faster. 

We finally get to the room where basically everyone is gathered, and Forko (as well as my parents) stand at the front.

"Attention, please." Errol announces, and then Dad starts speaking.

"As you may very well know, there are rebels attacking our kingdom. Now, this has been happening for a while, but throughout the last week, the rebel attacks are growing steadily closer. We assume that soon, they will attack us."

Ah shit, rebels? The last time there was an insurgence of rebels was when Father married Mother. Maybe they're gathering again because of my Selection?

Dad turns towards where my Selected are standing in a corner. "To the Selected," he sighs, "If any of you wish to leave, then you may."