Chapter 9

"Stina," I smirk at her, ignoring how dark this corridor is. Why is it so dark in here? 

"Keefe," Stina drawls, in a really weird way. I suddenly remember that she's an Empath, like me, which is kinda unsettling. I don't want my emotions to be felt.

"What are you doing?"

Stina presses forward, pushing me back, step by step, until I'm up against the wall. When she speaks, her voice is a soft purr.

"Keefe, you could just throw it all away." She whispers, one strap of her dress sliding off her shoulder. 

"I- what?" I ask, confused, gingerly sliding her strap back onto her shoulder. She smiles, wide eyes lighting up at my confusion.

"The Selection," she presses up against me, toying with the button of my shirt, "You can just pick me now, and I'd help you, I'd satisfy you."

Ah, this bitch did not. I'm not going to choose one person just yet, especially not someone who tries to coerce me in a dimly lit hall. I gulp, my throat suddenly dry. I did not like being in this situation. So I try to be as calm as possible.

My eyes dart around, looking for an opening, and I finally seize it. I stare at an empty corner behind Stina. "Hey, what's that?"

Stina falls for it, turning around. I shove her, turning around and sprinting. I manage to run into Fitz, and I hastily tell him to distract Stina.

My surroundings seem to blur as I keep running, my breath coming out in great pants of air. Somehow, again, I bump into someone. They grab my arm, trying to speak, and I jump, overwhelmed by feelings of confusion from the other person.

But I, paranoid, simply grab the person's hand and keep running.

I need to get out of here. 

I don't stop until I make it to my room. When I'm there, I finally let go of the other's hand, and turn to look at them.

Oh, it's this guy. I really had to run into him now, of all times?

"Oh, hey, Bangs Boy." I try for a smirk, but it instead comes out looking like a grimace.

Tam's silver eyes narrow at me suspiciously. "Something happened." 

I nod. "But it's none of your business. So go away."

Then I turn, walking over to my balcony and sitting down, curling up as if to protect myself. I can feel Tam's presence, as he lingers there for a few moments. It's relaxing, for some reason. 

Then he turns and leaves, and I'm left all alone.

"It's been a week, Keefe. You can't just ignore them." Fitz is calm and patient, but I don't care. How am I supposed to trust any of them now? What if they're only here for my looks, my status?

"Fine," Fitz huffs, "Ignore me too, asshole. I don't care."

I burrow deeper into my blanket cocoon, and then the door opens.

"Go away, Fitz!" I shout from inside my cocoon.

"Um, Prince Keefe?" That doesn't sound like Fitz.

I poke my head out of my blankets, confused, and see a servant. In one hand he has a ring of keys, and in the other, he has a paper. He hands the paper to me before leaving.

I open the paper.

Keefe,

You can't stay in solitude forever. I'm bringing something to cheer you up, be ready at 2.

xoxo Biana

I groan, tossing the paper into my trash bin. No thank you.

Then I get up, grabbing the paper and putting it on my desk. I turn, mussing up my Hair to perfection and walking into my closet. 

20 minutes later, I'm ready, wearing a dark gray tunic and black pants. I flop onto my bed miserably. 

Biana rushes in, looking beautiful in a salmon-pink dress, her hair delicately braided and makeup applied. She winces when she sees my appearance.

"I call this my 'I'm feeling shady' outfit."

Biana raises an eyebrow, "No wonder you look so much like Tam. He's a Shade."

"A what now?"

"He can control shadows. By the way, everyone's worried about you."

"Are they really?" I get up, pacing around, "What if they're all like Stina, and they all just want the throne and nothing more? What if they're going to stab me in the back the first opportunity they have-"

"Keefe, for once, could you shut up and come with me? Please?" 

I sigh, defeated, and reluctantly take her hand. Biana grins, pulling me along as she somehow manages to run in heels.

We reach her room, and I gasp, awed.

There are trays of food all on Biana's large bed. She grins, calling a few servants and telling them to take it out to the balcony.

Biana and I sit on the balcony in companionable silence, as we eat pudding puffs and butter blasts. I smile.

"Biana, why did you do this all? Is it just because I'm unbearably hot?"

Biana rolls her eyes, turning to face me with a slight smile on her face. "It's because you're you, Keefe. You usually don't care about what people think of you, and even if you hide yourself behind jokes, your sweet side is honestly what I love the most. You always manage to be kind to people, looking for the best in them, and you're incredibly loyal to the people you care about."

I blink repeatedly, startled by all this emotion. Biana gives me a soft smile, then gets up and kisses me on the cheek, and goes inside to her room.

I follow her in, and for the first time, I look around at her room. It's covered in sketches of clothing and tiaras that have almost the same amount of detail I put into my drawings.

"Wow, Biana." I whisper, turning around. Biana smiles, teal eyes lighting up.

"You know," I munch on another pudding puff, "I think I really do feel better. Thank you, Biana."

Biana laughed, her voice bright and melodic. "No, Keefe, I should be thanking you. You're finally realizing I'm not just a girl obsessed with sparkles."

I grin, pulling her in for a hug, and then I turn and leave, feeling satisfied.

~~~~~~~~~ AUTHOR'S NOTE ~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, I don't really ship Keefiana :/ But I gave you peoples a moment for them anyways.

And yeah, I know Stina isn't a genuinely bad character, but it was a plot decision, oki? 

I hope you guys liked the chapter!