Chapter 22

It had been almost a week since Lena left, and I still felt gloomy. 

Sure, I did things that took up time, like meeting all the bodyguards, going on more dates, but still. . .  I don't know.

Nothing felt fun anymore. Not even making fun of Tammy's hair.

"Hey, Keefe!" Sophie runs over to me, grinning. 

"Uh, hi?" 

"Look at this!" She holds up something for me to see. It's the size of a small box, rectangular, and- wait a second. I recognize this.

"Is this an iPod?" I ask Sophie, peering at it.

"Yep! Dex fixed it for me!"

"But, Foster, how did you even get it in the first place?" I ask, more than a bit confused.

"I had it back when I lived in the human kingdoms, which I'll explain later. Anyways, you need to listen to this!" 

She gives me a fresh pair of earbuds, and I cautiously put them in the iPod. "Listen to what?" 

I put the earbuds in my ears, and Sophie smirks at me. "The greatest musical ever."

And then she presses the play button.

A few days later, I find myself in Father's office, and he's furiously scribbling something down. 

I casually lean over him. "Why do you write like you're running out of time?" I whisper-sing.

Father glances up at me, irritated. "What nonsense are you spouting now, Keefe?"

I nudge Ro, and she begrudgingly joins in from behind me, in a deadpanned voice. "Soon that attitude may be your doom."

I scramble out of there, with Ro at my heels.

I poke Fitz. 

"Fitz."

He doesn't answer me as he keeps reading his book. The Picture of Dorian Gray, or something. He tried explaining the plot to me once, but it just wasn't my thing. 

"Fiiitz."

He turns the page.

"Fiiiiiiiiitz."

I can tell that he's annoyed by the way his eyebrows are scrunching up, but he's still ignoring me.

"Fitz. Fitzy, Fitzy, Fitzer, Fitzroy."

Fitz sighs, setting his book down. "Keefe, what do you want?"

I smirk at him, giving him a poke. "I'm bored, Lord of The Snuggles." 

"Keefe, can you shut up for just one second?" He grumbles as he stands up, "You can't stop being annoying for one moment, can you? Just— Ugh!" He throws his hands up, walking away.

I laugh, calling after him, "You'll be back!"

"Uh, Keefe?" 

A short mop of curly brown hair, bright blue eyes, wait, I know him—!

 "Oh, hey, Jensi! I haven't seen you in a while! Where have you been?"

Jensi scratches his head, looking a little shy. "Uh, I'm working in the kitchens now. So, what'd I miss?"

I pat him on the shoulder as we walk down the hall. "Just normal Selection stuff."