3. Not So Nice To See You Again

Chapter 3

Not So Nice To See You Again

Momma was definitely going to kill me.  I could already feel her glaring when we both spotted the old, beat-up truck behind the line of luxury cars. 

“Hattie…” she started, but I just shook my head.

“Please, don’t start.  You said I could invite anyone I wanted…so I invited Beau.  And Gage, of course.  And it’s not like I didn’t tell him what to wear.”

“You know I don’t approve.”

“And I want him here,” I said, but she was ignoring me as she greeted guests, walking up the front steps of the mansion she’d rented for the night.  When she looked back at me before the next came, I went on.  “Will you stop making it so known you don’t like him?  Even he knows it.  Why do you think he doesn’t come over as much as he used to.”

“I just want someone better for you.”

Better…Beau was better than me in many ways.  Momma prejudice blinded her.  She just wasn’t going to take the time to see.

“Just because he decided to not go to college and work at his family’s garage does not make him lesser of a person.  He makes good money.  His entire family does.  They just decide to save it instead of spending it on frivolities.  They value family instead of things…which I thought we knew enough about being what we are.”

I almost felt proud, making her speechless, and tried to not let my smug expression show as the next set of well-dressed guests made their way up the stairs. 

Daddy appeared between us, sensing the obvious tension, but decided against commenting on it.  “Sorry I disappeared.  Craig Burke caught me and we got to talking.  Savannah’s inside with him, by the way, and so is Ash.  They were wondering where you were.”

“Once Beau and Gage get here, I’ll go find them.”

Slowly, car after car pulled up to the valet station.  After greeting everyone, I looked back down the drive to see where Beau’s truck was, but it was nowhere in sight.  Did he leave, feeling too uncomfortable to stay?

It was then I saw him and Gage walking up the steps.  I smiled, checking him out in his tux, which still fit him perfectly, showing off his broad shoulders and height.  His hair wasn’t messy like usual, but slicked back, not one hair out of place.  Gage was beside him, wearing the tux he’d worn to prom last year.  He’d changed out the pink bowtie that had matched his date’s dress for a simple black one, though. 

When Beau saw me, he paused for a moment with his foot hovering over the bottom step, eyes roaming over my dress, before he started taking two at a time.  My grin broadened when he stopped in front of me, leaning down to give me a quick kiss. I could hear Momma clearing her throat at the public display of affection. 

“Damn, you look beautiful, darlin’,” he said, leaning back to look at me again. 

“Aren’t you glad you came now?” I laughed as he pulled me toward him again.  His hands went to the small of my back, which – thanks to the dress – was bare. 

“Oh, yeah,” he grinned back, winking. 

“What happened?  I saw your truck and then it disappeared.”

“No one knows how to drive the thing ‘cept me, so I parked where the wait staff did and we walked.”

“Hattie,” Momma said loudly, trying to get my attention away from Beau.  “Why don’t you go head inside and mingle.  Almost everyone’s here, so we’ll be starting the dinner in half an hour.”