From the Journal of Lorraine Ellis

November 14, 1923

After a few more days in Cambridge, Father, Jesse, and I are heading to England. Paddon Manor, to be exact. Jesse admits that it was the plan all along and joked he would get me to go with him no matter what. He thought I would be mad at him for keeping me in the dark about what really happened, but I am not. How could I be?

Now, we are on a ship bound for Liverpool. We will arrive in a week and then set out on the drive to the manor. Jesse says it is going to be a long two week journey. For me, it will be anything but.

This morning after breakfast, we took a walk along the First Class deck, looking out over the open ocean. And in that time, I have been asking him so many questions, to which he gladly answers.

What happened to him in the few weeks after they knew he was alive? It was a long recovery for him and he was cooped up in bed with Wesley annoying him any chance he had.

Did he know about what Father and I had been doing for Wesley with the pieces and boxes? He, apparently, was the one to suggest us to be the ones to do it. This was long before we had ever met, too, the reason they were going to contact Father in the first place.

Did his family know he survived? No, they did not. He knew he should tell them, but he had one person he needed to tell to first. I was the one person he wanted to see before telling his family, because I was the cause of everything.

And lastly...did he ever think he should have made it known to me other than having me believe for all these months that I was the cause of his death? Yes. Every single day. Wesley was the one to stop him. That, and his recovery.

Of course, hearing him say I was the cause made me start crying, mostly because I could still see him as they pulled him up.

By that time, we had stopped, leaning against the railing. When Jesse saw my tears, he reached up and wiped them away before taking my hand in his, pulling me into his side. He apologized over and over, but I only shook my head.

Being close to him, sharing in the companionship, that was enough.