13. Me, Hattie, The Human Sacrifice

Chapter 13

Me, Hattie, The Human Sacrifice 

Those two guys I've been with for the past two days?  The ones who were tracking the Order and doing who knew what to do just that?  Yeah, they were more than prepared to throw me under the bus when we finally got to Paddon Manor the following night.

"I've seen pictures of this place, but I never expected this," Cruz whistled as he stared up at the manor, lit up in the darkness.  His hand tightened on his messenger bag, which held the map that had been on the wall and the hard drive they were going to give Emmy and John.  "Even at night, it's pretty impressive." 

"Stop it, would you?" I growled at Drake as he shoved me forward toward the front doors. 

He grinned sheepishly.  "Emmy likes you right now.  She doesn't like me."

"So you're making me your human shield."

"Exactly.  I knew you were good for something..."

That earned him a punch in the arm. 

After ringing the doorbell, hearing it echo through the hallways of the manor, two excited screams followed.  I smiled brightly, forgetting the annoyance behind me, when the door swung open and Grant and Avery jumped into my arms. 

"Hattie!" they both squealed. 

"Hey, babies!" I said, kissing their cheeks.  "What are you guys doing here?"

"We visitin' Uncle John and Auntie Emmy!" Grant explained.  "And we playin' and hidin'."

Avery giggled.  "We scare Mommy."

"Oh, you scared your mommy, huh?"

"Uh huh!" she nodded.  "Unca John help!"

"And he got a good smack for it, too," Elena grinned as she and Emmy appeared in front of us. 

As I put the kids back on their feet, I smiled as Emmy and Elena came forward to hug me.  Emmy, though, held on a little too tight and I could almost feel her glare at Drake over my shoulder.

"Seems like you came earlier than expected, huh?" she said, pulling back to hold me at arm's length.  "And it doesn't seem like you're hurt."

"Why would I be?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"Oh, I don't know," she shrugged, glaring at Drake again.

"Again, Em, I didn't kidnap her," he smiled slyly as he moved to hug her.  "She came willingly."

Seeing that smile, she relaxed, rolling her eyes.  She could never be mad at him for more than a few days.  Then it was right back to loving her best friend.  There was still some underlying suspicion, though, and it wouldn't go away until she knew everything. 

"You still have a lot of explaining to do," she told him, hugging him back.  "And don't think you can skip around the truth.  If you try, I'll just beat it out of you."

Drake chuckled, kissing her temple before pulling back.  "I know you will."

Emmy and Elena's eyes were on Cruz then, who was still standing outside the front doors.  He didn't look nervous in meeting them, but had a stoic look on his face.  The two women eyed him suspiciously as Grant and Avery chatted excitedly at me, oblivious to the standoff going on in front of them. 

"Em, Elena, this is Cruz Vivas," Drake introduced. 

Cruz held out a hand.  "It's nice to finally meet you, Emmy, Elena."