14. Breakfast In Bed With A Three- And Two-Year-Old Is An Adventure In Itself

Chapter 14

Breakfast In Bed With A Three- And Two-Year-Old Is An Adventure In Itself

"What in the world is wrong with you guys?" I asked angrily, spinning around to glare at John and Emmy.  "How could you be so cruel when all Drake was doing is trying to tell you what's been going on?  And don't say this is only about Cruz!"

Emmy stepped around John, who was still looking at the door.  "Hattie, that guy..."

"That guy is the only person who's been there for him in the last four years.  Drake trusts him.  They've figured out so much together with the journal and everything with the Order...and yet you won't hear them out!  Sure, Cruz is the son of the one person all of us wouldn't mind seeing dead, but don't judge him solely on that.  Judge him on his actions.  I have...and he's a good guy.  But how you treated Drake just now...did you not see the hurt on his face?  Sure, he hasn't been the most open person in the last few years, but that doesn't matter.  He came here to tell you everything.  He and Cruz.  I'm just along for the ride at this point, but I know adventure's coming soon."

I was out of breath by the time I finished my rant.  John and Emmy were staring at me with identical expressions of surprise.  I'd never really been mad at them before, but seeing what just happened...it sent me over the edge. 

What caught me off guard was when Emmy's bottom lip started to quiver and tears welled up in her eyes.  The pregnancy mood swings must have been kicking into overdrive then.

"You're right," she whispered, quickly wiping under her eyes with the backs of her hands.  "How could we treat them that way when all they were doing was telling us what had been going on?"

"It's that Cruz guy I'm still not sure about," John told her, reaching out to wipe away her tears also as he laid a hand on her stomach.  "Drake, though...I trust him.  And if he trust's Cruz, then we'll hear them out."

"What if Drake doesn't want to talk to me now?" she cried out.  "What if he's already left and he never..."

"He wouldn't leave, Emmy," I told her, walking toward them before taking her hand. 

She sniffed loudly, nodding, and then looked at John.  "I'm going to go talk to them.  And don't you dare tell me otherwise," she snapped when John opened his mouth to cut in.  Her eyes went to me, and then glanced down at Cruz's messenger bag that was on my shoulder.  "While I'm with Drake, show whatever it is they were going to.  Drake told you everything, right?"

I nodded, tightening my hold on the strap.  "Yeah.  And everything they've got on the hard drive, I read through yesterday.  It's crazy how thorough they've been.  And it's going to change a lot about what we've found out – or haven't found out – about what the Order's been doing these past few years they've been keeping off our radar."

Emmy nodded again, wiped her eyes once more, and then leaned up to give John a quick kiss.  "I'm going to talk to them and you're going to stay here and talk to Hattie.  You already know you're going to tell and show me everything, so I won't miss much.  Right now...I need to go talk to my best friend."

John and I stood there and watched her leave.  He was shaking his head before the office door even closed. 

"I thought I'd figured their relationship out a long time ago, but it's still all over the place.  She loves him one moment and hates him the next."

I snorted.  "None of us will ever be able to figure out that relationship."

John's eyes slowly drifted over to me.  "Speaking of relationships...what was all that?"