5. This Is Going To Be More Than Just Awkward

Chapter 5

This Is Going To Be More Than Just Awkward

Let me just add one more secret to my list – no one knew about what happened with Drake. 

Savannah and Ash were still asleep when I crept back into their apartment at two o'clock that morning. 

Beau didn't find out later that day when I met him for a lunch date. 

Gage didn't find out because Beau didn't.

My parents didn't either.  When I came home that afternoon, though, my mom gushed about seeing Drake at the benefit.

"Oh, Hattie.  That boy's gotten more handsome since the last time I saw him.  Why didn't you invite him over for dinner or something?  I would have loved to have a proper conversation with him, other than one in passing."

"Momma, it's not going to happen.  He's already gone."

"How would you know?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.  I almost thought she knew something. 

"Because," I said, turning away from her so I could start packing.  "He doesn't stick around for long anymore."

Packing for a three-day trip didn't take me very long.  I just had the usual, plus a dress that I would wear to the graduation ceremony.  It all fit into one bag, even though I would have an entire jet to myself.

Well, I wasn't counting on the extra baggage standing at my door Friday morning.

"What are you guys doing here?" I gasped, seeing Beau, Gage, Savannah, and Ash on the front steps of my house.  "What's going on?"

Savannah answered for them all.  "We're coming to New York with you!"

"And what makes you think that?"

"Well," she said, pushing her way into the foyer.  "Your friend Emmy called me last night and invited us!  She said she's always wanted to meet us, but you never let us come to their place before.  How dare you, by the way?  You've never said she invited us so many times!"

I grimaced, thinking about all the times Emmy said they could come with me to New York or to England.  I always declined, not wanting to mix my normal life with my one with the Brotherhood.  I knew everyone could keep it all together, but I didn't want anyone slipping, like the little kids.  

"Anywho," Savannah continued.  "We're coming with you for the weekend.  We've already got it all arranged...but apparently, we didn't have to worry about plane tickets.  You never said they had a private jet either, you lucky girl!"

"Some of those friends of yours are in high places, huh?" Gage winked.  "Again, if you want to hook me up with one..."

Beau reached over and smacked him on the back of the head.  "Shut up, would you?" he said, and then looked at me.  "Hattie, if you don't want us to go..."

"No, I would love some company," I said, shaking my head.  "It's just...there will be a lot of people.  I rented a room since Emmy's moving back to England in a few weeks and has already started shipping their stuff back, but I..."

"Don't worry about that, either," Savannah said.  "She said she upgraded your room so Ash and I will stay with you and she got another right beside it for Beau and Gage.  This is going to be so much fun!  I'm so excited!"

I wish I could have been just as excited as she was, but I couldn't help the nerves twisting my stomach into knots.  Even as we took a private car to the airport, I couldn't help but feel a little apprehensive.  Savannah and Gage were chattering excitedly and Ash just rolled her eyes, smiling.  Beau, on the other hand, knew something was wrong and reached over to thread his fingers through mine.