1. I'm Pretty Sure Dirty Boots Aren't Approved Gala Attire

Chapter 1

I'm Pretty Sure Dirty Boots Aren't Approved Gala Attire 

I hid my bored yawn with my glass of sparkling cider, trying desperately not to show it as Dr. Albert Freedman continued talking with Daddy about the newest plans for his run for Senate.  Daddy listened carefully, interjecting his own thoughts and opinions at the perfect moments, just like he'd always been able to.  Thank goodness, he hadn't asked for mine...

"Hattie, dear, what do you think about it?" Daddy asked then, turning a smile.  His eyes sparkled knowingly.  He caught me.

"I'm sorry.  What was the question again?"

He chuckled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.  "I told Albert you've just finished your first year at Emory."

"International Business and Linguistics, I hear," Dr. Freedman mentioned, nodding.  "That must be quite the task load."

"Well, I'm a great multitasker.  Momma taught me from an early age," I smiled.  "I've always had a knack for language, so it seemed the obvious choice."

A 'knack for language' was definitely an understatement.

"Your father also mentioned you've already interned for the past few summers at a company headquartered in London."

"Antecedent Industries," Daddy answered for me.  "We've been friends with the CEO and his family for years."

Dr. Freedman looked back at me.  "Do you have plans of interning there again?  Because if not, my office would surely benefit from you being there after all the good things I've heard."

"I am, actually.  I leave in three weeks and will be staying until the end of August."

He smiled, nodding his head.  "Well, if you ever need something different, your father knows my office number."  He caught sight of someone else then and excused himself.  "Nice to see you, Michael, Hattie.  George Barnes, is that you...?"

Daddy's humor escaped him.  "You lasted longer than I thought you would," he laughed. 

"Saw that, huh?" I grinned back.  "I'm sorry, but it just..."

"Babydoll, even I was starting to yawn."  He looked around the room at all the guests and decor, shaking his head.  "Your mother's outdone herself yet again.  All this Deveraux-Blakely Foundation benefit stuff she's been going on and on about.  Two in one week.  I don't know how she does it..."

"They're both for a good cause.  The historical society and childhood education, right?  Grandma June would be proud..."

"...if she weren't in the Bahamas with that man she's been shacking up with," he finished.

"Daddy!" I laughed.  "Mr. Goldman makes her happy...isn't that all that matters?"

"Your grandmother is a crazy woman, Hattie, but I love her to death...as much as a man can love his mother-in-law."

I sighed, shaking my head as I looked back out across the banquet hall. 

Being the youngest one there by a couple decades wasn't the best of situations.  Anna, my older sister by twelve years, was in Dubai with her husband, Tate.  They'd been married to a grand total of three months.  We hardly saw her in those months, too, but I was used to it.  She came by a few times a year and only for a day or two.

I spotted Momma across the room, speaking with one of the caterers.  She had that determined look in her eye that said, "You'd better do what I ask or your butt's gonna be beat."  The guy didn't stand a chance.  When she started smiling as he nodded his head, she waved him off and turned with her hands on her hips.  Catching mine and Daddy's eyes, she smiled wider and started for us.