Chapter 8

"Well they have quite a lot of damage." The chief says to me.
"Do you want to start with the plasma leaks that are contained for now but need to be fixed?" I ask.
"Yeah. Do you have any idea how to get the Jeffry's tubes. I've never been on a Cardassian ship in my life."
"There this way. I mapped a lay out of the whole ship earlier when I was fixing the warp drive." I say pointing down the hall to the right.
He gives me a look of surprise.
"It's a gift." I say trying to make up something, but he knows I'm enhanced, and I can see it in his eyes. He's scared of me. I don't even have to read his mind. Just like the rest of the people I try to make friends with.
We get in the tube and immediately I smell a radiation leak.
"Get out of the tub now! There's a radiation leak!" I yell to the chief.
"I'm not leaving without you. If I do Commander Sisko will be furious!"
"Leave Chief! There's no time for arguing! Don't make me pull rank on you!"
He sighs and starts to leave. The one thing he doesn't know is that the radiation leak is runtkin radiation, which I'm immune to, up to a certain level. I try to contain the leak, but I'm not a engineer. Come on Max if you don't fix this leak the whole ship will blow and the Cardassians will be stuck here until another ship comes and gets them. Can't have that.
I feel something hot an realize the hatch is about to blow. Dang it! I start to crawl out of tune but it's too late the hatch blows and I'm flown against the Jeffry's tube. I think I broke my left arm and I have a plasma burn on my right leg. I scramble out of the tube the rest of the way and I feel the transport beam on me. The ship is moving and I'm being transported off. They ejected the ship from the docking pad so that it wouldn't blow up part of the station, standard protocol.
I am now on the transport pad in ops.
Julian is rushing over to me along with Commander Sisko and the Chief.
"Get me a med kit!" Julian says.
"Here doctor." Dax says.
"Well I've had quite a day." I say.
"Your alright. But I'm taking you straight to Sick bay to fix your arm and plasma burn. Also to see if you need radiation treatment." Julian says.
"I'll help you doctor." The Commander says.
We got down to the infirmary and they laid me on a bed.
"Taylor what happened in there?" Julian asks me.
"We couldn't tell what was going on. Radiation was blocking signals, we barely got a transporter lock on you."
The chief and I were in the Jeffrey's tube and about to do a repair on the warp drive. I knew there was a radiation leak. It's like I could smell it but also sense it. I told the chief to get out because I new that he would die if he didn't get out of there before the levels got to high. I am immune to runtkine radiation up to a point. I stop because Julian starts to fix my leg and I wince. I've learned to trust him by now. He's the only doctor that I will let treat me.
"This is going to hurt even worse. Sorry." He says as he fixes my broken arm.
"I've been hurt way worse before." I say.
I'm about to continue when a furious Dukat storms into the infirmary demanding answers.
The Commander is about to respond but I say something first.
"I'm sorry about your ship. I tried to fix it, but the radiation and leak was enough to make it blow. Your just going to have to wait for a new ship." I say.
"Now listen you, you child. That ship I served on for 20 years! I want a full report on why it blew up." He yells.
"I'm not a child, sir. I'm a Commander. Second you will get a report as soon as possible." I say. He starts to walk out and I say "And Dukat. Never call me a child again." I state.
Sisko looks at me like I just made a big mistake, but not with him. With Gul Dukat.
Julian's holding back a laugh.
Then Julian gets back to treating me.
"Well you don't need radiation treatment, I fixed you leg, but I want you to go easy on that arm for a couple days." He says.
"Well I have to finish those computer files and now that the chief has some replicators working I have to get your..." I get cut off by Commander Sisko.
"Max listen to Dr. Bashir's orders."
"Yes sir." I say.
"I'll take you to get you some lunch if you want." Julian says.
"Sure. Anywhere that Gul Dukat is not I'm in." I say.
He laughs and we head of to Quarks.
When we get there the restaurant is packed.
"Great." I say.
"Hopefully it will die down soon." Julian says.
"So, how's your first week been?" I ask.
"Good, I've no been that busy, except for fixing a few minor stuff."
"Julian, why weren't you salutatorian? Your better then every one of your class members."
"I mistook a post-Ganglionic fiber for a post-Ganglionic nerve. The truth is they are really different." He says.
I give him a glare and I see him look at me and then say,
"Alright, I couldn't have people knowing or suspecting that I was you know..also I didn't want some cushy job in a starship. I wanted to be here, I wanted to pick my job." He states.
"Ah. Well for me I shot above every single test score in Star Fleet history and got to pick my job, which was here, being on some starship again....it just brings to many memories back." I say.
Julian is about to answer when Quark says
"Next! Oh hello Dr......Commander. There's a seat right here." He says.
We sit and get our lunch, then continue our talk. Out of all the species that are telepathic and can't read Ferangies, I can.
"He's up to something." I say.
"Who?"
"Quark. That sly, cheating, manipulative slug." I say.
"Well I've heard his reputation is bad but you just met him yesterday." Julian states.
"Maybe. But he's definitely up to something." I state.
We finish eating at leave. Julian goes to the infirmary and I go see the Commander , he called me during my lunch to come to his office as soon as I was finished.
I get to ops and go into the Commander.
"You wanted to see me sir."
I look and see Gul Dukat in the office as well.
"The Gul was wanting a report on his ship and I was thinking we could meet and you could tell him now."
"Yes." I say.
I explain in excruciating detail just how Dukat wanted it of how the ship exploded.
By the time I finished the Commander I think had a headache and Dukat looked happy enough with my answer, well as happy as a Cardassian can look.
"Odo to Commander Stone." I hear from my
Com badge.
"Yes Constable."
"I need you in my office right away."
"On my way."
I say goodbye and make the trip down to the promenade.