Chapter 6

I had finished my first shift on DS9 and grabbed my bag. Just as I'm getting on the lift the Chief gets on.
"I'm Chief O'Brian. You must be Commander Stone. Major Kira told me about you."
Oh did she now. By tomorrow everyone on this station will know what and who I am.
"Yes. Nice to meet you. I got all the files I could pull out of the computer today. I swear these Cardassian computers make me feel like I'm pulling teeth."
"Ha. Yeah. I've never heard "This is not within safety perimeters" more in my life than today." He says.
I laugh and we talk about the station for the rest of the way in the lift.
Oh how I'm craving for that replicator to work in my room but it won't be operational for a few more days. Way shorter than I had anticipated, but still. I get off the lift and turn to the left and head only two doors down to my room. I'm next to Dax and on my right is the only Cardassian left on the station, Garik. He was exiled from Cardassia after the ocupation ended. I am half way through unpacking my stuff when the door chimes.
"Come in." I say.
"Hello. I just was stopping by to ask if you had a package of rations? I seem to have gotten yours."
"Oh here." I say handing him my package of rations which have all Cardassian food.
"Your Commander Stone, you have quit a reputation so far you know." He gives me a sly smile.
"Alright. That's completely bad." I say.
"Well if you ever need anything dear, I'm right next door. I can always trim uniforms or make a new outfit for you."
"Yes I here you are quit the tailor. Well thanks for giving me my rations."
"Anytime." He says and then walks out the door.
He gives me the creeps. He's also hiding quit a lot in that head of his. I won't spoil much for you but I will say this, two words.
Obsidian Order.
I finish unpacking and decide on eating one of my ration packs. Breakfast for dinner or Mexican enchiladas? I decide breakfast for dinner. You can have breakfast anytime of the day. I am pretty much finished with my food when I get called by Dr.Bashir.
"Dr.Bashir to Commander Stone. I need you in my office as soon as possible."
"On my way."
What could Julian need me from now?
I was just finishing up and about to have desert.
By the time I get down to the infirmary and get into his office, the doctor is angrily shouting at his console.
"Good your here. I was just on to my files and looking through my patients when the computer froze up and then I saw smoke."
"Did you try turning it off and then back on again?"
"What?!" He asks.
"Never mind. Old computer joke. Let me take a look."
It takes an hour to locate what the problem was. A rod in the computer core was jammed in the wrong way causing the computer not to operate correctly.
"I can't fix it today I need a replicator so that I can make a new isolinar rod. Then I have reprogram it. "
"Alright I guess I'll have to request them from Star Fleet medical the old fashioned way."
"See you, I'm going to go collapse on my amazing luxurious Cardassian mattress and not wake up till at least 0800 tomorrow."
"At lest you get to sleep, I have to be up for the night shift until I get some medical officers from Bajor up here." He says.
"If you need a extra hand for a couple hours a day so you can rest or go eat I'd be able to help. I took the classes during my free time at the academy." I say.
"Sure. Anytime you want." He says.
I say goodbye and leave going straight to my quarters.
All of a sudden I get called by Major Kira.
"Commander I need you in ops. There's something you need to see."
Will I ever get a minute to rest? Guess not. It's been 30 hours since I woke up yesterday morning and came to DS9. Not one single cup of coffee or a nap.
I get up to ops as fast as I can.
"The chief was testing the photons when all of a sudden one that should have dispersed disappeared." Commander Sisko says.
"I've tried locating exactly where it went. I'm starting to think it's a wormhole." Dax says.
"Let me take a look at the star maps and see if maybe this has happened before and we just didn't know it." I say.
We work for another half hour until I find a clue about the wormhole.
"Commander you need to come see this." I say.
"What did you find?" Commander Sisko says to me. I rub the sleep out of my eyes and say "In the year 2240 a ancient prophecy said that in the year 2566 a man will become the emissary. He will find the eye of the prophets, and speak to them himself."
"Was that what it actually said or did you hypothesize?" Commander Sisko asks me.
"I translated it from ancient Bajoran text, then I did not hypothesize, I just read what I translated."
"Good work. Who is the emissary though?"
"A leader of Bajorans spiritual life. He is like a guide to the prophets." I say.
Kira interrupts and says "Wait how did you even translate the writing that you found? The Cardassains didn't have our ancient language in there computer systems."
"I know ancient Bajoran. I know every language." I state.
"But..." Kira was about to say something but was to shocked.
"Ahhhh!" I hear a scream from the Commander. I run over along with Julian and help the Commander in chair.
"He's unconscious, but stable." Julian says.
"Bashir to infirmary. Medical Emergency, Ops beam the Commander and I straight to sick bay...."and me too." I cut him off and say.
We beam directly to sick bay. While Julian is getting his medical supplies, I lift the commander up and put him on a bed. When I come back he's not even surprised.
"What do you think happened to him!?" I ask.
"I have no clue, it's like someone attacked him, in his mind, subconsciously. Do you want to give it a go?"
"You want me to go in the commanders head? I don't think I'm the best candidate for that right now."
"Your the best I got." I'll try running some scans while you look." He says.
By this time the major and Dax had come down to the infirmary. Both seemed out of place. I close my eyes and try to find the commander in my head. When I lock onto his thoughts I get mentally hit just like the commander did. But I'm ready I push the thought back and try to find the commander again. I'm into his thoughts and a bright white light surrounds me. I'm somewhere not in space and time, then it hits me, these are the prophets, it all makes sense now. "Commander it's me Taylor. Follow me!"
"No I am communicating, with the prophets, they are telling me about the wormhole, let me stay. Now that you know I'm ok, leave. I'll be back soon."
"Commander..." I start to say.
"I'll leave." I say instead.
When I open my eyes I'm lying on the ground too.
Julian scans me and then I say
"I have the worst headache ever."
Julian laughs and says
"Well I can help with that. He goes to give me a hypo but I am to scared. I dislike doctors. I hate the chemicals, my goal in life is to never get a hypo again.
"Max." he says gently.
"I'm not going to hurt you, never. Just let me give you the hypo."
"Fine." He gives it to me and I slightly flinch.
He helps me up and I tell him what happened.
"So we're just going to wait for him to come out of it?" Kira asks.
"That's what we're going to have to do." I say.
"You can leave. I'll stay and watch him. I'll call as soon as he wakes up."
"I'll stay too doctor. I can help." I say
"Alright." He says.
The rest leave and Julian and I begin waiting.