28.

---------------------------------

Yesterday seemed like it had happened ages ago. A new sort of pain kept tugging in Emma's chest. Like someone had a tight grip around her heart. She needed time to think. To adjust to what was happening. Everything was changing too fast.

Stop, she wanted to say to Kai. Please, something's wrong. Emma felt the painful press of tears in her throat.

Stupid useless emotions, she told herself and continued driving. It had turned dark and Kai was already beginning to drowse in his seat.

He hadn't thrown up blood in four hours so that was good news. Maybe she could do a sleeping spell on him for the night.

Emma glanced at him. Tired lines of exhaustion marked his face. " Ugh.. it feels like I'm dying," Kai groaned, shifting in his seat. 

" You should rest," Emma said. " It won't hurt as much if you're asleep."

Kai stared at her as if really noticing her for the first time in hours. The sweat that lined her temple. How slowly she breathed as if every breath drained her a little. "Maybe we should stop to eat," he said. " I'm starving."

They drove around until they found a diner. It wasn't very fancy and they only had fast food but it would do.

" Two burgers, no wait- make it three, fries and a coke. Em?" he called.
" Emma? What will you have?"

" Oh." She snapped out of her daze. She looked at Kai then at the waitress.
" No, I'm not hungry." Emma thought she saw Kai's expression soften but it was gone in a second. Maybe she imagined it.

"She'll have fries and coke too," He said handing the menu to the waitress. " And can you make it quick? I'm starving."

The lady walked away without a word. Kai turned to face Emma. Her head was balanced on her palm, eyes closed and it seemed that she was ready for the day to be over with.

" We should stop soon," he said. " Find a place for the night."

Emma straightened from her slouched form. " Are you sure? I mean we really shouldn't waste any time. Not when you look as pale as a ghost. Come here-" She leaned forward placing her hand on his forehead.

Kai rolled his eyes. " Thanks for the compliment."

" And you're burning up," she said, leaning back in her seat.

" We won't reach mystic falls. Not when you can hardly keep your head up. We need rest. I can survive the night but I won't survive if you fall asleep and drive off the highway and crash into some truck."

Emma feigned exasperation. "Alright," she said.

The waitress arrived with their food. Kai lunged for the burger even before she'd set it on the table. He was halfway through his first burger when he felt bile rise up in his throat. He rubbed his neck.