26.

-----------------------------------

The silence was uncomfortable. He couldn't bear it. Kai knew he should've gotten used to it. After all, he'd spent an eternity alone. But still, he couldn't stand it.

He shifted closer to Emma, sleeping soundly besides him. He lifted her hand, brushing a kiss against her knuckles. Just hours ago he was holding her half dead in his arms. He leaned his head against her chest, listening to her heartbeat. She's here. She's alive.

Why did he feel so vulnerable around her? Surely, It had something to do with the merge and Luke...Right?

"Hey." He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, caressing her cheek.
"Em," he said softly. Her lips parted as she opened her eyes. He remembered the warm taste of them. Remembered how softly she'd moaned his name.

He'd pin her against the bed and have her all over again right now. He shook his head. Later.

" We're gonna be late." He snatched the pillow from under her head.

"Oh come on, Kai," she groaned.

" I allowed you three extra hours of sleep. We have to leave." Emma all but stuck out her tongue at him.

" I could think of better uses for that tongue," he purred in her ear. His voice barely more than a rough whisper. Emma rolled her eyes but then chuckled. The sound pulling at something in his chest.

She stood up, stretching her arms above her head. " I'm gonna go shower," she said, heading towards the bathroom.

" I'll join you."

-----------------------------

Emma felt stronger than before. More powerful. It felt unreal. But whatever it was she hoped it lasted long.

Kai on the other hand was more chirpy than usual. In her years Emma had learned that people talked more when they were hiding something. But she couldn't tell if Kai was hiding something or was it just the six cups of coffee he had?

He wouldn't tell her what was in the envelope he was holding. She could tell he was thinking hard. She'd countered quite a range of emotions fighting for control in his mind. Not vulnerability- never that.

Now they walked to the Salvatore house, Kai with his arm around Emma. " Shouldn't we-" she began but Kai had already opened the door with his magic. "Nevermind."

"Hello," he called, barging into the house. "Oh, I forgot how massive this house was." His eyes shifted to the desert on the table.
" Yumm... cupcakes."

Damon was leaning into Elena. Even though his back was facing them, Emma could tell he was scowling. Yeah, probably should've knocked before entering.