33.

------------------------------------

"Bonnie!" Kai yelled. But that wasn't what turned his blood to ice. He could sense- even amid the dark and cold roaring around him that there were four people there. Only four.

Bonnie. Damon. Elena. And Lily Salvatore.

No sign of Emma. He wouldn't have made that mistake. Not when he had every detail- from the fall of her hair from behind, to the way she stood with her hands lightly clasped in front of her embedded in his mind. No, he would recognize her.

Before he knew it, his legs were moving. Not towards Bonnie but towards the labyrinth of snow and trees that lay behind him.

What had they done to her? How had he let this happen-

He thought about Emma laying unconscious on a bed of ice, blood pooling around her, her body cold-unmoving.

He padded through the snow, cursing the leg that wouldn't move any faster where Bonnie had stabbed him. Not only him but also everything he had hoped he could become. Someone better for the people around him. She had ripped through that person, left him bleeding. So slowly, he bled back into the monster he used to be.

Emma had trusted him, had followed him from one prison world to another. And what had he done other than lock her up again?

His chest tightened to the point of pain and he wanted nothing but to slip back into his old role. But his mind kept reeling back. Back to the present where he couldn't find her. Back where he was a breath away from breaking down.

" How could I be so blind," he murmured, not believing that he'd brought this upon himself. Upon both of them. He'd just got her back. She was doing so well and he- he'd trapped her. "How could I be so fucking blind-" he shouted, striking the trunk of a tree with his fist. He hit again. And again, until he couldn't feel his hand. Until he was sure it was broken. Didn't stop until there was blood running down and he felt absolutely numb.

A light flashed in the distance, so bright it could've blinded him. The very air halted for a second. Kai's legs gave away under him and he dropped on his knees. Sobbing. Screaming. His chest became heavier, pulling him down.

They were out.

And he couldn't-

Couldn't breathe-

And Emma....she....she...

His lungs refused to inhale air. Get it together, Kai. Damnit! Get it together. He gathered snow in one working hand and rubbed it on his face. Anything. Anything that would stop how ridiculous his body was acting right now.

His lungs outright refused to breathe. Not a good time for them to be showing off their hidden talents. As if in agreement, the ground rumbled.

He hated the warmth of tears that leaked from his eyes. He didn't like this. Didn't know how to make it stop. He couldn't even name everything he was feeling. As the pain in his chest increased, he realized that he deserved this. He deserved whatever–