dabi - too late

my all time favourite enemies to lovers trope. i hope i didn't disappoint.
pro-hero reader au.

CW: cursing, slight gore, death

=========================
it seems that he's taken an interest in me. and i don't even know why.

i've been getting an increasing amount of calls about a villain wreaking havoc in the city. it always seemed him. he was the one bringing about so much trouble. and i always had to clean up after him. it's becoming more and more annoying, honestly.

obviously, today's call for help was no different. i was in the middle of cooking when i received it. sighing, i picked up my phone. i listened for updates on the current situation, my face slowly paling. it can't be.

he was threatening to blow up one of the major buildings in the city. unless i went there within half an hour to fight him.

what happened to his (less) harmful ways of terrorising citizens? why's he going to such an extensive measure now? why's he even doing this? i had so many questions, yet not enough time to seek the answers.

arriving at the scene, the whole place was surrounded. from curious onlookers, to the vigilant police. needless to say, this slightly stressed me out. i pushed past the crowd to the front, intending to find one of my partners who called me.

my partner informed me on the situation. how they managed to quickly evacuate everybody from the building. how he's at the rooftop, waiting for my arrival. how they wish me luck in this fight.

swiftly making my way up, i eventually came face-to-face with the notorious villain. black hair, his trademark black overcoat, his purple stapled skin. dabi, the villain that was obsessed with toying with me.

he turned around upon hearing the click of my boots on the concrete floor. he grinned.

"great to see you again, little hero. now, why don't we play our game again?" he asked, full of malice.

i gritted my teeth, not bothering to give a reply. i ran towards him.

laughing maniacally, he faced his palms towards me, releasing his deadly flames. i dodged, grateful that it only singed my hair.

i kept running towards him, my only goal being that i had to get close enough to him to tackle him. but he kept going further and further away. every time i thought i was close enough, he suddenly appears somewhere else. it didn't help that i was becoming more tired just from chasing him too.

his quirk was definitely not helping my situation. i was sweating so profusely, and grabbing onto him was becoming difficult. i managed grabbed onto his arm this once, only for him to slip away again. his staples left multiple scrape marks that stung badly too.

his blue flames going against my quirk were a sight to behold. if you were watching us from below, you'd definitely be entranced by it.

right now, i've barely made any progress. the most i've done was slightly close up the distance between us. what else did i get from it? you guessed it; stupid fucking injuries. and he seemed to be doing amazing, no wounds whatsoever.

i stood there panting, furiously wiping away my sweat and blood. he stopped in his tracks too, fire dancing on his palms.

he feigned a pout, telling me, "aw, come on little hero, won't you try a little harder."

i got angry.

"try harder? then why don't you fucking come at me!"

"why, gladly." he ran straight for me.

i wasn't sure why, but my whole body was feeling so heavy at that moment. i probably shouldn't have ran about so much. and i probably should've done something about my stupid injuries. i was bleeding really badly, to say the least. you could see my blood droplets splattered in every corner possible. his clothes and my costume weren't spared from being tainted by the crimson liquid either.

as he came for me, i wanted to dodge so badly. but, was it out of fear or lethargy that i couldn't, i don't know. i could barely move an inch, before he shot those hell-flames of his. needless to say, i was engulfed entirely.

pain immediately shot through my body. i was thrown backwards too, and i landed on my back, hard. i definitely broke some bones. my head hit the concrete floor, resulting in blood oozing out.

i couldn't scream, i couldn't cry. despite how much it fucking hurts, i couldn't do anything. i could only lay there, panting. blood flowed out from anywhere, blisters formed everywhere.

all of a sudden, he stopped. i tried my best to look at him. he look... confused? slightly mad, even. he walked over, while i tried my best to keep my eyes open.

he hovered above me. i couldn't read his expression anymore.

he was going to say something, but i cut him off.

"i... guess you won. congratulation." i laughed bitterly, before wincing in pain.

i was losing all my strength, all my energy. i closed my eyes, breathing becoming shallower.

"you were supposed to move away. you weren't supposed to be there," i could hear him say in a soft whisper. i think he knelt down beside me, for i felt his hand hovering above mine. i don't think he dared to touch me.

his voice was becoming fainter by the second. i couldn't focus on it anymore. with whatever strength i had left, i held onto his hand.

"goodbye."

with that, i smiled, the pain disappearing together with me.

he blinked, unable to cry because of his already burnt tear ducts. he could only look at the burnt figure in front of him.

bursting into flames, he screamed, voice full of pain and regret.

- fin -