??? - post traumatic break-up disorder

why didn't you stop me? by mitski

another short story where you can imagine that it's your favourite character.

character's pov.

( more notes at the end )

CW: cursing, coping with a break-up

==========================

I did it.

I really did it this time.

And this time, it was all my fault.

I thought that they'd come back to me, like they always have all those other times.

I guess that I have used up all my luck; they never did come running back.

But why?

I know that I ended it, but why didn't they bother stopping me this time?

I've always thought that they knew me better than I ever did, so where are they now?

Every single time, every single time that i've tried looking for a picture of them, I could never find any that looked like how I remembered them.

It's as if i've forgotten how they look.

That's not possible, right?

It's only been a few days since i've let those stupid words slip out of my mouth.

I regret it, I really do.

It has also only been a few days since i've last seen them, but it felt like forever. It feels so weird without them by my side, and I think I might be going crazy too.

Not wanting to stay cooped up in the house and dwell in self-pity any longer, I decided that I should take a walk in the park nearby.

It was really late at night, so when I entered the park, it was empty. Just me, myself and I.

This park... Ironically enough, it's where we spent most of our time together. Maybe coming here wasn't just because I 'needed a walk' or that I needed a 'fresh breath of air'. Maybe I was holding onto this sliver of hope, a hope where i'd be able to see them here again.

As I walked further into the forested area of the park, I spotted someone else further down the pavement.

I walked a little closer, noticing how they looked familiar. Too familiar.

That's when realization hit me.

"y/n!" I shouted, running towards them as if my life depended on it.

"It's really you..."

Upon hearing my voice, they stopped dead in their tracks, turning around to face me.

Seeing me all tired and sweaty, they frowned.

"Oh, so you're running back to me now? And I thought that I should be the one doing the running."

I ignored their comment, though it hurt a little. I was honestly desperate at this point.

"y/n, I'm... I'm really sorry."

"I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry... I know I shouldn't have said that, so please come back... I miss you a lot..."

"You're sorry?" They laughed, "What about all those other times, then? Are you only apologising  for everything now?"

"You only want me back because you miss having someone you could always belittle and make fun of. I've always felt like your stupid punching bag, just there for you to feel superior. It didn't even feel like I was your partner."

"So, do you get it now? Or do I have to get it into that thick skull of yours?"

They crossed their arms, taking a deep breath. "We're done,  we're through! That's what you always wanted, right?"

"You're a free person now! You're not held down by a 'responsibility' anymore, so why don't you get on with your amazing life and i'll go on with mine."

And with that, they turned back towards the direction they were walking towards and left me

"Hey, wait!" I yelled to no avail.

I ran forward, wanting to grab hold of something, anything. Yet, I stopped myself. I don't really know why I stopped myself; maybe it didn't feel right for me to stop them after what they said.

So I watched. I watched as they slipped out of reach again, leaving me by myself once more.

And just like that, they were gone.

Yet again something that was my fault.

As I stood there, letting the reality of this whole situation to sink in, I thought to myself:

Holy fucking shit.

I messed up so fucking bad.

- fin -

notes:

hello y'all !! just want to thank y'all for supporting me and reading/voting for my stories <3

i recently closed the requests for this book, but i might open it up again in the near future. i promise that whatever requests that have not been written will be written and posted, though it might just take a little while.

i've been busy with school + working on a new book, so posting has been really slow. if any of you are interested, i'll let y'all know when the new book ever comes out too.

anyways, thank you so much for being so patient and being there with me till the end <3