all might - successful failure

rät by penelope scott.
his hero name seemed more appropriate than his real name for this story.
au where you get ofa instead of midoriya.

CW: cursing.

=========================
we both said nothing to each other.

he sat in front of me, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as he waited for my reaction. i only stared at the floor, clutching my shirt.

one tear, then another, dripped down from my face, landing on the floor. yet no words were spoken. the only thing you could hear was my sniffles and the ruffling of my clothes as i wiped my face furiously.

"young y/n, won't you tell me about the reason for your outburst?"

"you attacked your classmates for seemingly no reason and-"

"all might," i cut him off, "you've always told me that i could be a hero, right?"

"you knew how much i wanted to be one too."

"tell me, young one, how is that related to anything?" he leaned back in his chair.

"don't you remember your own words? that i could help 'save everyone' and make society a 'better place' to live in for everybody."

i lifted my head slowly, making eye contact with him. he looked slightly surprised, probably because of how i looked. eyes red and glossy, my nose and cheek tinted pink.

i gritted my teeth.

"then why do we beat up these so called 'villains' mercilessly? aren't they a part of this equation? they're people too."

he replied, frowning, "they're called villains for a reason. they use-"

"unethical and immoral ways to bring about a point? have you never thought that it was because violent 'heroes' breed violent 'villains'?"

i wiped away a tear.

"worse yet, they became 'villains' because no one bothered to help them when they needed it most!"

taken aback, he said nothing in reply.

i continued, "god, i've always looked up to you. i dreamt of becoming a hero because i wanted to be you. but you know what i learnt from all this? you weren't the person i thought you were."

"when you told me i was next, believe me i was happy. but that's when i realised i'm only here to follow in your footsteps; being the next symbol of peace."

"what peace am i supposed to bring?" i retorted, "beating more 'bad guys' up? does that mean i can beat 'heroes' up too? not every one of them is as good as they seem, you know? some of them are as bad as those deemed as villains."

"it's only because they have the power and status to be considered 'good'"

i looked away from him.

"i really like how there's always this assumption where 'heroes' can fix society's problems."

"so why don't you say anything about it? the whole of japan was so reliant on you 'saving' them. isn't it tiring? look at your scars! you're so traumatised, it makes me want to cry!"

"you're such an influential hero, providing a safety net for the whole country. so why don't you speak up about it? why shoulder everything?"

no reply again.

i took a deep breath, looking away from him.

"let me level with you, all might, as someone guilty to this game. i took your hair because i trusted in you, i took on your legacy, and soon i would've taken your title. so if anyone in japan should get to make a call about this, it should be me."

"and as i see it, we are fucked."

"fuck this power of yours. fuck this stupid society. fuck this stupid school for scarring literal kids. fuck all this 'hero-villain' bullshit." i screamed.

"you promised i could make a difference. you promised so many things, and yet so many of them were a lie."

"tell me," i looked back at him, eyes pleading, "what can i do now? everything is so fucked."

head on my hands, i started crying again. he reached over, a little hesitant, patting me on my back to calm me down.

his lips were pulled into a thin line. he waited until i was finished, until i had sobbed my heart out. he waited, before asking, "do you... feel better now?"

"no."

i slowly stood up, backing away from him. i wiped away a tear.

"i don't want to be a hero anymore. i wouldn't want to follow in your footsteps, would i, mr toshinori?"

i walked out the door, leaving him sitting in the room alone.

- fin -