30

To be honest a day off from work was really nice. Theo was alright by the time Zack left but he wasn't ready to lose the benefits of being sick.

"Can I go pack Theo's bag?" Noel asked eagerly and I glanced at Theo, who was busy having breakfast. He looked better than yesterday.

I raised my eyebrows at him, asking for his opinion and he gave me a sheepish grin as he shook his head. I knew that'd be everyone's answer, school or college, doesn't matter.

But I saw Noel's face turn into a pout.
"I don't want to go alone." He whined.

"You're not alone. You've Brandon." I reminded him and he bit his lips.

"Are you going?"

"No, Maria's busy, she can only come over in the evening. So I think I can make it to work but not the class."

"Where are you going?" He asked as I stood up.

"To call Will." I replied as I showed my phone to him. I know he's not much happy with the fact that we got to have fun while he's stuck in school. Not having fun actually, but at least I guess that's what he thinks.

"Why?" I could see hope in his face when he asked me.

"We should tell him not to pick you up, shouldn't we?"

And I saw that pretty face break into a smile.

"Thank you, Ivy. You are the best!" He came running to me.

"I know." I winked at him and informed Will about the plan.

I guess we could make some free time to enjoy. I really want to. Because all I've been doing is work and sometimes I feel like I'm not giving them the happiness and joy they deserve.

Sometimes I feel like I'm burdening them. Especially Noel.

"I want to bake." Little master declared as soon as we finished a game that I've never heard and played before.

"You baked yesterday." I said although I knew it was Zack who made it.

"Yes. I want to do it again. It's so fun." He smiled excitedly.

"Okay, what about a cake this time?"

That's exactly how we spent the morning, baking a cake. I really didn't know how to, so just searched for a recipe and tried following it. By the time cake was ready, we had flour all over us. Thanks to their flour fight.

The cake ended up quite tasty even though it looked like an ancient erupted volcano.

After a heavy lunch and a two-hour nap on top of each other, we were forcing Theo to drink the bitter syrup when the door burst open and someone barged in.

"Hey, kids!"

Our mom said in a high-pitched voice and walked past us into the kitchen.

We three sat still, gaping at her. Theo, out of excitement. Noel, out of surprise and me, out of pure shock.
Not from her barging in, we know she has a key. But from the way she greeted us.

"Is mom here to play with us?" Theo asked, still looking at her, who was eating something.

"I don't think so." I replied, eyes still on her.

"Great food." She said as she walked into her room and came out after a few minutes. No other words, no gestures. She slung the bag over her shoulder and opened the door.

And just like that, she walked away.

I had many things to ask, many to know. But couldn't. I wanted to ask if she really owed him money or if he's a creepy pervert, who just wanted a reason. And many more.