9

"Uh-huh. No April!" I tried my best to glare at that cute little face before me and smiled as I scooped her up.

This was by far the best job I've ever done. And that's all April. She sleeps most of the time and the rare times she's awake, she just stares at me and smiles. Recently she found out that pulling my hair is an interesting hobby. Apart from that, I'm getting paid for doing almost nothing.

"Thank you, Evelyn. Care to join for a coffee?" Claire asked as she came home finally and took April from me.

I can't say the offer didn't surprise me. This is the first time and I've been doing this for almost three months.

Before I could say anything, my phone rang, flashing Jake's name across the screen.

"Thank you, but I've gotta go." With a polite smile, I got out and called Jake.

"Where are you my dear señorita?"

"On my way, señor."

"Make it fast señorita, your favourite person in the world is here." He mumbled.

A groan escaped me. "I'll be there soon."

"You should be. See, I don't think I can do your work for even a minute anymore. The girls are swooning over me and it's getting so difficult." he whined.

Yeah, right.

"Shut up, you complete modest human."

"A human señorita? I'm offended. You know I'm an angel reincarnated."

An angel he was.

When I reached the cafe, I had to sneak in through the kitchen door. And when Tyler suspiciously eyes me an hour later, Jake backed me up. He said we switched places for a bit because of his sprained wrist.

His wrist was alright.

"Where's the other woman?" I was startled by Tyler's voice but Jake just shrugged.

"She went home. An appointment or something."

"You can leave." He mumbled.

My eyes were about to bulge out with surprise. But then I realised he was talking to Jake.

"My shift isn't- "

"I know, but you can go now."

"Fine." Jake muttered as Tyler went back to his usual table, eyes glued to his phone.

"Argh, he's probably gonna make me work late today." I sighed, "Do one thing, just tell Noel I'll be late and not to worry."

"Sure. But I ain't leaving, honey." He gave me a smug smile, taking off his apron.

"Why?"

"Because Tyler asked me to." He looked at me as if it was the only answer to that question.

It took Tyler exactly ten minutes to realise Jake wasn't leaving.

"Why are you still here?"

"I'll leave later." Jake mumbled, pulling his phone out.

"I just said you can leave. You don't need to stick around here now."

"Sure," Jake smiled at Tyler. An innocent, bright smile. A smile that was meant to mock Tyler.

A second later, Jake walked towards one of the empty tables and sat there. And of course, Tyler followed him with a glare plastered on his face.

"You're deaf or what?"

"My shift is over and I'm here for a coffee." This time he smirked.

Tyler was confused and...speechless. And that surprisingly made me feel good. By the time I returned with a coffee, Tyler was sitting as far as he can from Jake.