Chapter 22

"What are you doing here?" Winwin exclaimed as he saw the two commanders and general on their horses, approaching them. They immediately got off, engulfing Winwin into a cozy group hug.

"You're forgetting that this is our home too." Lucas reminded him. "Our families lived here as well."

"We couldn't let you fight this battle on your own." Ten added. "It's only fair that we joined you."

"But what about the Amber Kingdom?" Winwin asked, eyeing Kun. "Don't they need you?"

"Your father stepped in." Kun said, eyeing the girl standing by Xiaojun, Hendery, and Winwin. "He wanted to come but I insisted on taking his place."

"Thank you." Lihua said, giving Kun a small bow out of respect. "I appreciate it."

"Why are you bowing?" Kun said, narrowing his eyes. Winwin looked at him with the same amount of confusion Lihua was giving him.

"What do you mean?" Lihua asked, adjusting her belt that was holding her sword.

Kun motioned to the villagers behind her.

"You're a Commander now."

...

Winwin's eyes narrowed as he caught sight of the palace from his spot on the mountain. Sure enough, it was surrounded by guards like he had expected.

"We can take them." Kun said from beside him. "You and Lihua try your best to get inside."

Winwin nodded his head. "If you say so."

Winwin got off his horse, adjusting the golden sword on his belt as he took a deep breath. He tapped the girl standing there, staring at the palace in awe.

"Yes?" Lihua said, turning to glance at him.

"You ready?" Winwin asked her.

"Honestly, no." Lihua answered. "But I don't think I ever will be."

...

Lihua slipped in through the walls surrounding the palace through an abandoned gate. It was clear that Kun and his warriors were doing a great job at distracting the invaders and their troops, as it seems as though many of them had left their posts.

Lihua followed Winwin as they made their way inside.

They twisted and turned inside the palace halls, hiding when they heard the footsteps of the invaders coming towards them.

"Where did they come from?" Lihua heard an invader ask.

"I'm not sure, but Shunyuan seems pretty calm, so they're probably not to big of a threat." Another replied as they ran by.

That means that he's in here somewhere. Good.

Winwin seemed to be in a trance as he led her through, as if he recognized these halls before.

I mean, wasn't he born here? He is the prince after all.

Suddenly, Winwin stopped, making Lihua almost run into him if he didn't turn to hold onto her. He put a finger to his lips and Lihua nodded her head, making sure to stay silent.

"There's more than you thought there were." It was a female voice. The witch.

"Don't underestimate me." The low voice of a male boomed. "I'm stronger than you. I am your ruler and you will bow down to me when I capture the Amber Kingdom as well."

Lihua follwed Winwin as they peeked out. Down below them was a large man with dark eyes and long hair. Shunyuan.

Beside him was a lady, wearing a long dress and a mask that covered her face with jet black hair. She seemed like a crossbreed of between a human and a bird, enough for Lihua to recognize her as the witch Hendery had described to them.