Chapter 13

Guilt.

That is what Winwin felt when he was sitting alone in his room, after Lihua's father had left. So as he heard Lihua leave her room, he secretly followed her all the way to the training grounds.

Winwin had watched from a distance as the girl sat there in silence, taking in the night air around her. He was debating if he should have gone to apologize but the sight of Jaehyun and Chonhee made him stay in his place.

He wasn't expecting Lihua to catch him there, staring at him with her round brown eyes. So he had defaulted to lying when she asked him how long he had been there.

Winwin could tell that Lihua was still hurting from Jaehyun's engagement, so he walked back to the palace with her, until they had to separate as they arrived at their rooms. Winwin didn't understand why his heart was thumping rapidly in his chest the entire time.

For some reason, he had felt like saying goodnight to her, and the girl surprisingly wished him a goodnight too, a warm feeling washing over him then.

But as he sat there, Haechan across from him as he informed the young male of his departure and that he had selected Haechan to take his place while he was gone, he felt like an idiot for acting that way with Lihua.

"Are you okay, hyung?" Haechan asked. "You seem really out of it."

"I just didn't sleep well." Winwin lied. "Anyways, will you take the position?"

Haechan nodded his head. "Of course, I'm honoured that you selected me."

"No need to flatter me." Winwin told him. "Just don't ruin my squadron."

"I won't." Haechan replied. "But I can't believe we're losing three of our best warriors."

Winwin was silent as he took in Haechan's words. The Palace Guard would now be losing not only Renjun but now Winwin and Lihua as well.

"You'll be fine." Winwin said but he honestly wasn't sure himself. "Work with Chenle and if you need help, ask the other commanders."

Haechan nodded his head, giving him a thumbs up. "Got it."

"Great." Winwin said, standing up. "I'll be heading out then."

"Oh, hyung, one more thing!" Haechan called out.

"Yes?" Winwin said, glancing at the male.

"Good luck with Lihua." Haechan said, a smirk on his face. Winwin rolled his eyes.

"Thanks, I'll need it."

...

"Tent." Lihua muttered to herself as she placed the large item in the pack that her horse would carry. The pack was getting quite full and heavy and she couldn't help but feel sorry for the animal.

She had just finished her briefing with Winwin, and the two were beginning to pack for the journey ahead of them. It was going to be a long three days, and Lihua was already feeling nervous.

"Lihua, I need your help." Winwin called from the storage unit.

Lihua made her way to where the male was, to see him staring at the folded blankets on a high shelf.

"Can you get those?" Winwin asked, pointing to them. Lihua narrowed her eyes.

"How am I supposed to get those?" Lihua exclaimed. "You're so much taller than me and you can't even reach."

"I'll carry you, you idiot." Winwin said, crouching down. "Now stop moving."

One of Lihua's hands were naturally placed on top of Winwin's head as he hoisted the girl on his shoulder, his hands resting on her thighs to make sure she wouldn't fall. Lihua smiled as she was finally level with the blankets.