Chapter 8

"Winwin, I need your help." Jaehyun said, chasing Winwin as he moved down the halls.

It was the day before the competition and quite honestly, Winwin didn't have the time to talk to Jaehyun when Renjun had less than 24 hours to perfect his skills.

"I don't have the time." Winwin said, continuing to walk.

"It's about Lihua." Jaehyun said, making Winwin freeze in his place. "Will you help me now?"

Winwin took a deep breath before turning around.

"No."

...

"How are you feeling?" Lihua asked the patient lying on the bed, leg propped up.

"Could be better." The patient muttered.

Lihua nodded her head, giving the patient a small smile. "Let's take a look, shall we?"

For the past few days, Lihua had been helping Taeil with tending patients during the day while completing her fighting training at night with Jaehyun.

Lihua was surprised at how fast she was able to pick up the medical training Taeil was giving her.

Maybe if I started focusing on this earlier.

Lihua shook the thought away, shifting her full attention to the patient instead.

Once she was done, she gave the patient a smile before exiting his room, just to see her father standing there with Taeil, to her surprise.

"Baba?" Lihua said, making the two men turn.

"I should go check on the patients." Taeil said, giving her father a bow and Lihua a small smile before leaving the two alone.

"What are you doing here?" Lihua asked her father.

"Just checking up on your progress." Her father told her. "Taeil said you've been doing better than he expected."

"Were you doubting my ability?" Lihua asked, feeling offended. Her father shook his head.

"I know you well enough, my dear. I know you can accomplish a lot in a short time if you put your mind to it. Your mother," Libua watched as her father looked away, inhaling deeply. "Your mother was the same."

Lihua shuffled her weight between her two feet. She always felt awkward when her mother was brought up.

"Anyways, I also wanted to inform you of our family dinner tonight." Her father added.

"Family dinner?" Lihua exclaimed. Her father nodded his head.

"The three of us haven't had a meal together in a long time."

...

"Family dinner." Winwin scoffed as he shot the arrow, the arrow landing in the centre of the target.

The retired General had approached Winwin earlier, informing him of his planned family dinner, something Winwin was not looking forward to.

Where Winwin stood with the Zhang's had always been confusing. Lihua's father took care of him and brought him up like Winwin was his own son, but he constantly was reminded that Winwin was not his. Lihua's father was simply taking care of Winwin for his parents that died when he was barely able to talk.

Yet Lihua's father still felt like a father to WInwin and Winwin still treated him like one. Unfortunately though, this put Winwin in an awkward situation with Lihua.

The two had been good friends when they were young but the older they got, it seemed as though they were competing for the attention of Lihua's father. With Winwin becoming a squadron commander, Winwin ended up being closer to the old man that his daughter was, and Winwin could tell that it didn't settle well with Lihua.