Chapter 1

The sound of a sword falling to the ground made the heads of all the other warriors training turn.

"Hah. I beat you. Again." Lihua said with a smirk on her face.

Renjun shook his head, picking up the sword that was now on the ground. "Jiejie, you know I'm a terrible sword fighter. I don't even like fighting."

Lihua sighed as she returned the sword back into her sheath, the other warriors beginning to turn away.

"I know Renjun, but they won't let me train with the commanders." Lihua said to the boy. Renjun simply crossed his hands over his chest.

"Maybe if you stopped picking on me, that would help." Renjun told her before moving to pick up the book on the bench. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go back to studying medicine with Kun-ge."

"Study medicine." Lihua scoffed, kicking a rock in the dirt.

That's what you should do Lihua, if you want to be useful. Be a healer, not a warrior.

That is what her father, the great General of the Amber Kingdom, always said.

Ladies shouldn't fight. They should serve their family. That is how they honour the family.

Lihua moved towards where the rock had landed, kicking it again. This time though, before it landed far it was stopped by a foot.

Lihua's eyes followed the foot up to meet a pair of eyes. "Fooling around again?" It was the Emperor's son, the Prince of the Amber Kingdom.

It was Jeong Jaehyun.

Lihua crossed her arms, rolling her eyes. "Like you're doing anything productive."

"Actually, I was." Jaehyun said, patting the sword on his belt. "Training with commanders is hard work."

Lihua gritted her teeth. Jaehyun knew exactly how to press her buttons.

That's what comes with growing up together.

Like many of the current commanders, Lihua grew up in the Amber Kingdom palace. For most, their parents were great commanders. The other commanders came to the palace through training at the top warrior training facility in the kingdom, location right outside the palace. Lihua had trained with many of the commanders at the facility, but Jaehyun and Winwin, she's been with them since the three could barely walk.

"I hate you." Lihua said as she walked past Jaehyun, purposely shoving his shoulder with hers.

Lihua could hear the male chuckling as she entered the palace gates, only angering her more.

...

"That's all for my report today." Winwin announced before sitting back down again.

Winwin was in a room full of the Warrior Commanders, all sitting around the table in the middle of the meeting room. At the head sat the man to brought him up, teaching Winwin every skill he knew, General Zhang.

Each commander had given their reports from each of their squadrons. Being the commander of the palace guards, Winwin presented his report last.

"Thank you Winwin." General Zhang said. "That's it for today, you may all leave now."

The commanders were beginning to pack up the doors barged open. Winwin glanced over to see that it was the General's daughter, Lihua.

Once the other commanders saw the girl, they all began exchanging looks. Here we go again.

"Baba, I want to talk to you." Lihua said, her eyes dark with intent.

General Zhang let out a deep sigh. "Lihua, how many times do I have to tell you-"