Chapter 1

Ian sat next to his sisters hospital bed. The doctors said that she'd be alright, "Just overnight for observation" Ian remembered the doctor saying. He was usually the first to see if someone was lying, but this time he had no clue. Funny choice of words he thought to himself.

He hadn't slept a wink last night, so deep in thought. About the clues, about mu... her.

But most of all about Amy. I've never met a girl quite like her. He had thought. She will never like me, not after all I did to her and her brother...

A small tear ran down his face, but he quickly wiped it away not making a sound, yet somehow it woke Natalie.

"I simply can't believe it; can you?"

Natalie had no idea of Ian's feelings for Amy, and Ian intended to keep it that way.

"I know how you feel, dear sister. Mu-mu-" Ian pauses for a moment to collect himself and tried again.

"Mum is gone, the clues are gone, dad is gone..." he said in his silky British accent. "How's your foot feeling?" He said trying to get the focus off of those sad thoughts.

"Okay for a bullet wound. You know what I just realized? This is my first cast, ever!" She said, obviously trying to lighten the mood also.

The siblings made eye contact for a few moments and the rest of the night a blanket of silence and slumber fell over them.