Chapter seventeen

My eyes widened as I watched John hurl himself on top of Jefferson. Tears rolled down my cheeks. Hes going to die. Hes going to die. I thought. John impaled Jefferson in the back and took off running into the woods, the rest of the team chased him while Jefferson bled on the ground. I saw Hercules sneak into the cave.

"Come on," he said, cutting through the ropes.

"B-but John," I cried.

"He'll be fine. We have a plan," Hercules said, and before he helped me stand up, he rummaged through Jefferson's stuff.

He found a huge metal thing, and I realized it was a remote control bomb.

"What i-if you accidentally blow up John?" I asked him.

"Stop worrying about him," Hercules said, he hid the bomb in the middle of the cave, under some ashed of a fire.

Then he turned around and helped me stand up. I almost fell on my wobbly feet, and pain erupted from my side. Hercules grabbed the remote control.

"I'm guessing you cant run?" Hercules said.

He was right, in my condition running would almost seem impossible. Hercules stuffed the remote control in his pocket, then I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and he helped bring me out of the cave. We stepped over Jefferson's bleeding body. He wasn't dead yet, but he was probably going to be soon.

We slowly moved away from the cave, and the further away we moved the louder screams echoed through the trees. Please don't die John. You cant die saving me. If you die saving me I'll kill you. I thought as tears still ran fresh down my cheeks. It was all to easy to imagine him getting stuck in one of my traps, or somewhere else, and getting stabbed.

Hercules brought me over towards our cave, it was a long walk, and I almost fell to many times to count. The screams and yells had become more quiet. Either they ran really far away, or John just died. I couldn't get myself to stop crying. I guess this is what relationships get me, sadness and pain in the end.

"You stay here," Hercules said, helping me sit on the stone floor.

"No! I need to help I got us into this mess-" 

"Nope, Jefferson got us into this mess. Actually, never mind, the Capitol got us into this mess. Then it was President Snow, and then you could blame it on all of Panem if you like. But its not your fault, Now you are helping me by staying put. If you died, it would only cause pain for John. now be a good little hedgehog and stay," Hercules said, and walked out of the cave.

I curled into a ball, blood still came out of my nose and my side hurt more then I ever hurt before. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I imagined Jefferson's team catching up with John. I laid on the stone floor for a while, images flashing through my mind, then I heard a loud boom.

And then came two canon booms. 

My eyes stretched wide. He cant die! I don't know what I'd do if he dies before me. Then I head footsteps coming through the woods. I tried to drag myself towards the back of the cave to hide myself better, but my broken body hurt to much.

"Alex?" Came the worried voice of John, I could tell he was crying by his wavy voice.

I tried to shout back to him but my vocal cords didn't seem to be working.

"ALEX!?" John shouted, his voice got louder as he came closer.

The only noise I could make was a quiet whisper now, its like my body just decided to give up.

"Alex please don't be dead I'll freaking kill you if you die before me," John said, echoing exactly what I had thought earlier. 

Then John entered the cave and he gasped. He sat down next to me and hugged me tightly.